5549 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT160 USB External not performing ANY hardware compression

Vernny
Advisor

Hi Everybody,

James, in your first reply I saw that you we were trying to backup jpgs, mp3 files which they already come in ca compressed format and a storage device is not smart enough to compress it even more like in .zip, .rar, etc. For testing purposes, try running a long backup of Microsoft Office files, bmp, data bases, .txt, etc.

Also, verify your USB port settings in the Server. Depending of the technology it might be using a 1.0 USB Port when drives require 2.0.

You can try also with a regular workstation to test it.

Regards,
Vernny D.
Tom Maor

the thing also happen on my servers .
i'm using BE 11d . i have compression with the storage works but no compression with the BE . did you manage to solve this problem yet...?
Matthew Cutting
Occasional Advisor

Hi Tom,

I have had no luck in rectifying this issue... Hopefully we can find something sooner than later...
Tom Maor

i'm trying to install the "HP data protector expres" to see if it's also havr the same problem , it's all by advisde from HP client support . i will tell u as soon as i'll insall this .
Tod Bauer

I have the same issue here as well. I just recently updated the USB drivers to the latest available. Backup Exec unfortunately does not provide drivers for this drive.

Running the tape tool shows that I can enable compression, and looking at the driver properties, I can see that compression is set to TRUE.

As soon as I start up Backup Exec, the value in the driver properties changes to FALSE. It appears that Backup Exec is shutting off compression.

Running the BE job with software compression does nothing either. It would appear that compression is not possible.
Tom Maor

so i guess the poblem is coming from the BE...? they say there in the wizard that the software does not support usb tapes . and that u should ask your tape vendor for the right drivers . so who should i call. it's comfusing
Jeff_nz

Same issue here, Running a DAT72 drive - (latest firmware and drivers) with HP Data Protector Express. - Backup job has hardware compression on and software compression off. I only get 1:1 (35-36GB), never any better. Data I'm backing up is very compressible.
Ran Library and tape tools, compression is on and the tape test got 2:1. So if it's not "hardware" and it is indeed software that is the issue, why is compression failing when I try NTBACKUP, HP DPX, and when others try BE 12.5? I doubt every piece of software is faulty. Is it a driver issue?

Gary J. Porter
Occasional Contributor

We are also experiencing a similar problem.

H compression is on, S compression is off but we are still running out of tape space on an 80G tape.

Has anyone received a solution from HP?

Regards

Gary
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

Please open your own thread. By all means reference this one if necessary.

That way you can assign points to replies if people solve your problem...

Cheers,

Rob
Gary J. Porter
Occasional Contributor

At Rob's suggestion I have opened a new thread

Error 64: Not found became - Error 1401: Alert - Please insert compatible media

Please have a look if you found a solutions.

Regards

Gary