1753903 Members
9266 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT24 drive intermittent 'write protected tape' problem

Maurice Reed
Advisor

DAT24 drive intermittent 'write protected tape' problem

I have an external DAT24 tape drive which has been out of use for a while as a DAT40 was installed in its place. I now need to use the DAT24 on another server and having installed it and tested all ok I have found that intermittently it mis-identifies the tape as being write protected even though the tape isn't. This is annoying as the backup job is set to run overnight and I don't find that is's failed until I come in in the morning. Is there anything I can do to try and fix this problem myself? I have updated the firmware to the latest version but it looks like it's a hardware problem in the detector.
I hate bl**dy computers!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT24 drive intermittent 'write protected tape' problem

Hi Maurice,

It certainly looks like hardware problem,
with the tape header. The only thing I
can suggest for you is to try and clean
the drive a few times to see if you can
get it too work. If it is under a support
contract get it replaced.

Cheers
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
this error message may be due to a bad cartridge also, you can perform a read/write test or a validation media test on this media with LTT to understand if the tape is the root cause
bye
marino
Maurice Reed
Advisor

Ok thanks. The tapes in use are not brand new but are in OK condition. I could understand a dodgy tape causing read/write fails but not 'write protect' errors. I feel it must be the part of the mechanism that detects whether the 'write' tab is over or not.

Anyway, I have gone through the entire set of tapes to be used and labelled them and inventoried them in BackupExec and will see what happens then.
Robert Bean
Advisor

That error is also a good one to alert you to a firmware update. Use L&TT and make sure you have the latest version of firmware for the drive. Also you can run media validation tests on the media using L&TT. The latest version of L&TT is SR4, if you do not have L&TT you can get it at:

http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools
Maurice Reed
Advisor

Again thanks for that. I did download and install the updated firmware when I installed the drive on to the server. I am going to monitor the performance of the tape-drive over the next few weeks and will decide what to do then.

Cheers