Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAT24 initialization error

Tiago Marques_3
Occasional Visitor

DAT24 initialization error

Hello, I'm realy green to this tape thing, I took a dat24 from a HP800 server (SCO UNIX)and put it on a PIV2Ghz (winXP). When I run L&T, in NT minipot it doesn't detect my drive, if I run it as ASPI, it detects the tape, but if I try to run diagnostic, it gives me an error and tells me to check a log at file menu, but it's greyed (it doesn't work).. I'm realy confused. Do I have to install anything else? what about firmware?
2 REPLIES
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT24 initialization error

Tiago,
try to use another SCSI adapter, for example Adaptec 2940UW, Adaptec 29160 or Adaptec 29160LP. Leave drive only one device on the bus, check SCSI cable and bus termination (both ends with correct terminators). Check switches at the bottom of the drive. Check jumpers at the rear.
Then try LTT again
Is it possible that drive is bad? Did it work on SCO?
Eugeny
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT24 initialization error

hi
tjis a normal behaviour on W2k/XP environment, in Miniport, only an application at a time can use the unit, so if something is already managing the tape, you will not detect it with L&TT, and also, in this case, running in ASPI mode, you will see that there is a tape unit (or any other scsi device) also if another application will manage it, but as you see, you cannot work on it, it is geyed.
Now what you need to do is to stop all aplications that can manage the tape at startup.
the most common services that could interfer is RSM (removable Storage Manager).
Bye
marino