StoreEver Tape Storage
1748165 Members
3794 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT24 under Win2000pro - How to format?Which tools?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Eichelberger

DAT24 under Win2000pro - How to format?Which tools?

Hello,
i try to run a SureStore DAT24 which wasn't used for a while at a Win2000pro machine.
Since the installation-CD doesn't know 2000 i selected installation for NT4 systems and it finally works. I can start a backup by using the Win-backup program.
My problem is: how do i format a tape?
I cannot see the drive in any explorer view. The only additional tool that was installed during setup is TapeAssure for Testing (which seems to work fine).
A few years back when i used the drive on a Win9x-System i think some additional tool was installed for that purpose.
Any suggestions anyone?
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT24 under Win2000pro - How to format?Which tools?

hi Martin,
you do not need the installation CD to install a dat24 on win2000.(I think you are speaking about the CD who come with the DAT)

Your DAT should appear in device manager, and that means that W2K have loaded the drivers for it, then when you load the tape, you should go to Removable Storage, in Computer Managment, and there, you should found the DAT, with the "unknow" tape. then with the right click of the mouse you can have the options tho "prepare" (format) the tape and to "mount" it so that you can start a backup with the W2K applet backup tool, NTBackup

marino
Martin Eichelberger

Hi Marino,
>you do not need the installation CD to >install a dat24 on win2000.(I think you are >speaking about the CD who come with the DAT)

ok, right

>Your DAT should appear in device manager, >and that means that W2K have loaded the >drivers for it,

that seems ok...

>then when you load the tape, you should go >to Removable Storage, in Computer
>Managment

hmmm i don't seem to have that!
I just tried a different approach via the NTbackup-dialogue: on the "restore"-tap on the right side i can see the device-names. If i right-click on them i get an option "format". It then loads the tape but after a minute or so i also get a message to check the Management console for removable storage (which i don't seem to have)...

I checked the Windows-installation by trying "add new Windows component" for any such item without success...

The Names of the System-parts which i refer to actually may be labeled a little different! Since i have a german system try to translate as reasonable as possible...

Maybe i will be able to install it if i run the setup from the Win2000-cd? Are the options any different from the ones i get when selecting the setup of additional components via the Software Management? I guess i will give it a try...
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

follow this:

start > settings > control panel >administrative tools > Computer management,

then click on the -Storage to open other menu, you should see:
-Removable Storage
-Disk Defragmenter
-Disk Management

select Removable storage, and play around
Martin Eichelberger

Your're right, i was looking in the wrong place - it seems to work now.
Cheers!
Grunts
Occasional Visitor

@Marino Meloni_1 wrote:
follow this:

start > settings > control panel >administrative tools > Computer management,

then click on the -Storage to open other menu, you should see:
-Removable Storage
-Disk Defragmenter
-Disk Management

select Removable storage, and play around

Hello,

I'm on Win7, but there is only Disk Management,

How can I format then access to a DAT24 Tape?

Grunts