1753254 Members
4869 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS dat 40

devona hay

DDS dat 40

My computer crashed and I had to reload all my software and drivers. Now that I have done this my tapedrive isn't recognized. I have loaded the latest driver but still no luck. I have also checked the cables and they are fine.

Anyone out there have any other ideas??
8 REPLIES 8
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Devona,

Where specifically is your DAT40 not recognized? Is it recognized in the SCSI Bios of either Ctrl-A or Ctrl-C? If it shows on POST and in the SCSI Bios and doesn't show in your NOS then you need to reload your SCSI driver. If it isn't showing in your SCSI Bios or on POST then try a different connection on the SCSI cable, make sure that it is terminated as well. Also try a different channel on the controller or integrated controller if one is available.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
devona hay

The Bios recognizes the tapedrive but when you go to use it, the message comes up and says no tapedrive detected.

Any one else have any ideas?

Thanks for your help Greg!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Did you reload the card driver? The OS does not include built-in drivers for some SCSI cards (e.g. ultra2). Make sure you have installed the driver for your specific card. That might explain why the BIOS can see it, but the OS can't.
The journey IS the reward.
devona hay

yep. downloaded and loaded the drivers
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It may be that your SCSI controller is not working. Is it recognised on the OS you're using?

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
devona hay

Hi Vince,

Thanks for you help. The operating system recognizes the SCSI card but doesn't want to recognize the tapedrive.

Devo
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

first, what is your OS?
next, the DAT can be recognized at boot time even if there is some connection errors (the enquiry string is short and it may be sended even if errors occurs, so check for connection, terminators, also set the scsi bios setting in accord with the dat and controller.
Then you can run a diag test in order to identify the cause of the problem, L&TT for microsoft is the best one.
Remember that in microsoft system, only one software can use the device at a time, so stop all services or application that could access to the tape when running test.
bye

marino
devona hay

Thanks everyone for your help. Here are the details of what happened and how it was fixed...

When I reloaded the SCSI card everything went smoothly and load was successful. So what I did was unload the SCSI card and reboot the machine. Then I reloaded the software again and everything went smoothly. Once this was complete and the drivers loaded again the tapedrive was recognized and everything seemed to work properly. The only thing that I can think of that went wrong was something failed in the install but not positive as it said that the install was successful. Maybe the drivers weren't loaded properly not sure. Anyway, it is fixed and I thank everyone for helping me trouble-shoot the problem!

Devona