StoreEver Tape Storage
1748205 Members
3816 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS4 IO Error using BackupExec

Jim Hedrick

DDS4 IO Error using BackupExec

I am getting the error message shown below from BackupExec 8.5 using one of our two HP DDS4 devices (model C5687A). At first I thought it meant I had bad media, but it has now happened on three different tapes. I have double checked the SCSI connections and they appear to be fine. Could this be telling me the device has developed a problem? Any suggestions for more troubleshooting or problem resolution? Thanks

Storage device "HP 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
4 REPLIES 4
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: DDS4 IO Error using BackupExec

Hello Hedrick,

What you could do is to download Library and tape tools from the HP site and test the drive with this tool.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/software/ltt_27_eng.exe.html

regards,

Cal.
Shawn Lucas_1
Occasional Advisor

You will also want to make sure that the drive is on at least an ultra wide controller. The biggest problem I see with the LVD tape drives are related to Single Ended Controllers.

Cheers,
Shawn Lucas
Chris Houthuysen_1
Occasional Contributor

Several of our customers have an HP NetServer LH3 with an internal HP SureStore DAT24i connected separately to the Symbios SCSI controller. Backup Exec 8.5 is used.
We have used the latest Library and Tapetools for testing the drive. We have set the SCSI configuration to a maximum of 20 Mb/s.
The tapes are not older than 4 months. We keep on getting these error messages as shown below and have not been able to solve the problem to our satisfaction.

Verify started on 4/24/2002 at 2:13:49 AM.

Storage device "HP 2" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Kind regards,
Lucas Goemans

Jeff Poole

I'm sure that you've long since resolved your problem, but I thought that I would pass along that I was having the same problem with a brand new Sony DDS-3 drive under Backup Exec 8.5. I was able to download the entire (all 100 megs) of 8.6, but to no avail.

The solution turned out to be a faulty SCSI controller. I was using a Tekram DC315U, austensibly much faster than the older DDS-3 standard, but I would inevitably get an I/O error on writes. The real kicker is that they would occur anywhere from 16megs to 2gigs of tape already run through. There was nothing "defective" about the SCSi controller, but it just didn't seem to provide a clean data stream to the tape, regardless of driver or firmware revision.

I replaced the Tekram with an old Adaptec 2940UW, an ovbious overkill for just a tape drive, but the problem has disappeared.

Hope that helps you!

Jeff Poole
jeff@clarityinc.biz