StoreEver Tape Storage
1751942 Members
4954 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS4 the device reported an error on request to write data to media Error reported hardware failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DDS4 the device reported an error on request to write data to media Error reported hardware failure

Support ticket is not rich of useful information. But if you'll look into 'Drive Error Statistics' section you'll see that there're a lot of errors, including uncorrectable.
Which tapes do you use? Could you please post model and manufacturer? Is it possible to try another vendor MRS tapes? I think there're should be dip switches somewhere on the drive. If yes, check how are they set
Eugeny
Matthew Darcy_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have tried using 3 times of tape.

1.) Verbatim "datalife"
2.) Maxell
3.) Sony

The exact model of the device is a
compaq SDT-10000
Using firmware revision 1.16

I noticed the errors you are suggesting in the support ticket, however I am no master of understanding these other than serious errors occured.

I am trying to find the documentation so I can work out what the jumpers on the back of the device are set to, as I can gather they are only used to set the SCSI id, but I am trying to find the docs to verify this.

I also performed another read/write test to make sure it didn't complete as a 1 off.

and it didn't have any problems (details posted bellow)

Transfer rate : 2.3 MB/s (during test execution - write)
Transfer rate : 2.2 MB/s (during test execution - read)
Read/Write Test - PASSED.

Test 'Read/Write Test' started on device 'COMPAQ SDT-10000' at address '3/0.6.0'

Test passed

Looking at this log the test does a 200 meg backup test and then reads the data. This suggests to me that the device itself is actually working, and that the problem is using the "ntbackup.exe" backup software, as the errors often occur before 200 meg - and if the read/write test can write 200 meg EVERY time, that suggests to me the ntbackup is causing the errors (I am not stating fact I am guessing on results)

Any comment on that ?

All good advice, and I am open to more.

thanks,

Matt.

Dear Matt,

I was looking for a solution on the same problem and I found that we have a common thing that might answer our questions:

Although the tape drive in one of my clients that faces this problem is a SONY DLT-9000 (different from yours), I use too a Tekram DC-395 WU SCSI Card (with the latest drivers) in this site. The error is the same:

"Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media"

I have a feeling that the bad guy here is not our tape drives, but the SCSI card!

I hope this helps you figuring out the solution for this problem, because I think I have found a possible explanation for it.

Greatings,

Pedro Lima