4492 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT 35/70 and loading a tape

nitesh bharadia
Occasional Advisor

DLT 35/70 and loading a tape

Hi,
I am new to using these DLT's and wanted to know if there is a way to load a tape that has been ejected without going to the dlt drive and taking it out and putting it in again.
After using my backup sw it sometimes ejects the tape and I need to reload it automatically. I am using backupexec v9 if it helps on Windows 2000 Adv server
Thanks for any advice

Nitesh
12 REPLIES 12
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure about backup exec, but Data Protector (aka OmniBack) has an option for setting this behavior. You should check your documentation. Look for something like "appendable media y/n", or even the straight-forward "eject when finished y/n".

DP even has the option to eject tapes when a full backup is done, but not when incrementals are done.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
nitesh bharadia
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. I found the option in Backupexec to NOT eject the tape after a backup.

All I need to find out now, is if it is possible to remotely mount/load a tape that has been ejected already. i.e. a job or command to say - load tape.

Are there any management tools for the tape device outside of the backup software itself?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
No, this is not possible. If the "Operate handle" LED is on the tape must be manually unloaded and loaded again before used.
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Actually, you *can* force DLT drives to pull the tape leader out when they're sitting with the green operate handle light lit - the green light goes out, the yellow in use light flashes, and the leader pulls out tape. It's a SCSI command. Backup Exec v6 used to exhibit exactly this behaviour (try it on a 15/30 - it works a treat). This was changed in version 7 and later, as this is the opposite to how everyone else uses tape devices. Many IT departments use eject-at-end as a convenient way to let tape-changing staff know that a backup has completed successfully - and it's very much faster if you have to change 100+ tapes every morning.
As far as I know, no mainstream backup products now offer this feature - but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Alan Kirkland_1

The DLT tape tools package available on the HP site in the support area has a command to re-load a tape when the tape is in the drive, but unloaded with the geen LED on without having to touch the handle.
nitesh bharadia
Occasional Advisor

Alan,
Thanks for the info. I have downloaded v3.2 and have used it to perform a Media Validation Test, but the tape unloads afterwards.
Is there a script or option that will perform the load of the tape only?
regards

Nitesh
Alan Kirkland_1

Oops sorry my mistake.
The software package you require is DLT Tape tools found on www.quantum.com.
It is downloadable from the support / storage section somewhere.
It definitly allows a command to tell a drive to re-load itself when the tape is unloaded with the green LED on and the handle still down.
nitesh bharadia
Occasional Advisor

Alan,
Thanks again. I got a QXLink sw from the Quantum web site - but it doesn't have the commands (not that I can find). If you have a copy would you email it to me please, or point me to somewhere.
Thanks
Nitesh
Alan Kirkland_1

I don`t beleive it, they`ve removed the software I was refering to.
Whats your email address.It will be about a 1mb attatchment. It only runs under DOS.