108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT 40/80 Carbon Firmware V086/cpq2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cher Massimiliano

DLT 40/80 Carbon Firmware V086/cpq2

HI,

Problem ejecting tape using Arcserve or using Eject button. The tape is released (Operate Handle LED is on) but after 5 minutes if I don't use the handle the Tape in use LED is on and cannot eject the tape. If I use the Eject button one more time the handle is released.

Same problem with 3 DLT 40/80 carbon with firmware V086 and with 1 DLT 40/80 Grey with Firmware V086.

How can I downgrade the firmware?

Regards
4 REPLIES 4
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DLT 40/80 Carbon Firmware V086/cpq2

Yes, you can downgrade firmware (you will need to get an LTT password from the call center).

What you are seeing is a 'low power' mode added in V85 firmware, if the tape is not physically unloaded.

Here's a description:
If the handle is not operated within ten minutes, the door locks and the amber "Tape in Use" LED lights (no density LED is illuminated when this occurs). Once the tape drive enters this state, the Eject button must be pressed or a SCSI/Library unload must occur in order to unlock the door and illuminate the Operate Handle LED. Once the door is unlocked and the Operate Handle LED is lit, the tape cartridge can be removed in the normal manner.
The journey IS the reward.
Cher Massimiliano

Ok thanks

There are problem to downgrade firmware before V85?

Difference between firmware

regards
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The changes between V80 and V85 are fairly minor, so I doubt if you would see an issue going back to V80.

Here are the changes:

Change List (4 Items):

BugFix:
Fixed between versions V080 and V086
The command reporting Check Condition for a Hard Write Error now holds off all other commands until it's abort process is complete preventing the error condition from occurring.

BugFix:
The firmware now does not allow the drive to enter optimized write mode when set to unbuffered mode.

BugFix:
Retain the track number after the write error so it may be used on a Space retry instead of starting at the beginning of the tape.

Enhancement:
Added a low power mode used while waiting for the drive handle to be opened. If after 10 minutes the handle has not been opened, the handle will lock and the holding tension on the tape will be reduced. At this point, the eject button, a SCSI unload command, or library unload command must be used to open the handle and remove the cartridge. A SCSI load command or library load command will load the cartridge and also remove the drive from the low power state.

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If you want to drop a quick email to ltt_team@hp.com, I can send you a downgrade password.