StoreEver Tape Storage
1745867 Members
4259 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT 7000/8000 tape not detecting

Matthew Hawksworth

DLT 7000/8000 tape not detecting

I am having constant problems with internal compaq DLT drives in proliant ML530 servers not detecting tapes.

I have ten servers with either 35/70 or 40/80 drives all are running on NT4 server spack 6a and variuous versions of backup exec.

I am having the same problems with all these DLT drives, and on the worst server the drive has been replaced 9 times over the past two years since new.

All the DLT drives have the latest versions of firmware installed.

The tapes are not seen by either backup exec or HP TSMC server, TSMC giving an error message ???sense key not ready??? when trying to run tests.

Rebooting the server allows the tape to be seen but the problem reocures until the drive is replaced.

3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT 7000/8000 tape not detecting

Matthew, how often do you clean drives? These drives should be cleaned only by their request. In addition, if you have suspicious tapes or tapes were used with defective drive it is recommended not to use them any more. Read this one is very good http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd8f8cdec06f1d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html
Eugeny
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Are you buying top of the line tapes or CHEAP tapes??

Also, there is NO valid reason why a SINGLE tape drive would fail 9 times on a server, unless the tape drive was used non-STOP, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year! Is it possible you have a crappy power source that is FRYING the tape drives?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Matthew Hawksworth

I had been cleaning the drive when requested by the drive. I did try a more frequent cleaning regime for a short while, to see if it helped, but there was no improvement. So am now just cleaning as and when requested by the drive.

The tapes used are made by Maxwell, so I would expect them to be OK.