New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT C6379A with windows 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mortie
Occasional Advisor

DLT C6379A with windows 2000

Hi,

I have a DLT (c6379a) 8000 tape drive. I been trying to research wether it is possible i can use this device with windows 2000. I think from reading various documents you can. However i dont really know much about scsi and do not know what type of scsi controller card i need to get.
If it is usable any advice on a card i could purchase that is anything between 1-$200
would be much appreciated

thanks
13 REPLIES 13
madoc
Trusted Contributor

This is a Smartstore racked unit, correct ?

I _ think_ that the interface on the back is a single connector designed to put the drive into the appropiate rack. If this is the case, then that connector is a unique one.

Apart from that the drive is a standard DLT8000 and all the documentation for DLT8000 will apply to it, apart from firmware as i think that is unique as well.
An Adaptec 2940 onwards will power these drives as their speed is quite low.

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Mortie
Occasional Advisor

Heya,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to optain a different back plate that has the standard two scsi connectors. You are right tho, the original had the uniqe one connector so i just swapped them over.I pressuming that its compatible. I think the replacement must have come off the desktop version.

Thanks for the advice i will look into the controller you suggested.
Mortie
Occasional Advisor

Oh one more thing,

I had a look at the product info of the 2940 The specs says its has an 50pin external. My connectors are 68pin. Is it just a case using an 50-68pin adapter so i can connect it? Or should i go for something like a
Adaptec AHA-31960K which has the 68 pin external connector?

My problem is that i dont know wether you need a different kind of scsi controller for backup devices as apposed to cdrom etc.
Idealy id like to get a card that can run the DLT and also one or more internal scsi HDs

madoc
Trusted Contributor

You can get cables that are different at both ends to match the output of the card and the input of the drive.

Try looking at the 2940UW or U2W cards, I think they have 68 pin output and were both the recommended cards for DLT80.

You don't really want to put your tape drive on with your hard drives. Something here about it:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50167

Don't forget the terminator BTW.

Mortie
Occasional Advisor

Again thanks for your reply. The documentation was definetly useful. I now have all the info i need

kind regards

Mortie

ps i didnt forget the terminator :)

Mortie
Occasional Advisor

This might sound like a silly question but is there any way to check that the DLT drive works (mechanically) without it being connected up to the computer? Im referring to the power up self tests it performs. Can the drive be powered up without the server being on or does it need some control info to run its tests?
madoc
Trusted Contributor

Yup.

Just put in the power cable and turn it on. It should make an awful grinding noise, flash a load of LEDS and then settle on just one LED (the operate handle one).

Mortie
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. I powered it up and it was failing the self test. The tape in use light remained in the flashing state. I checked the documentation and it suggested a dopped leader as there is no tape in the drive. I did the BHC test
and it flashed all four lights on the left. So it was definitly failing the test.
I open up the drive cover and saw the leader flapping around the spindle. I followed the instructions and managed to get the leader reattached again. Powered up and the operator handle is green again.
Im talking as though i know what im going on about but up until this morning i didnt know anything about DLT tape drives. Its certainly been interesting.
Thanks for the pointers they have been most helpful.
madoc
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I wrote that document on reattaching leaders and I'm glad it was of use to you. Makes me feel like I'm achieving something !