StoreEver Tape Storage
1748177 Members
4258 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT Hardware Failure

Martin M├╕rk

DLT Hardware Failure

I have an internal Backup drive "SureStore DLT 80" installed in my Server. It is connected with a SCSI controller. We bought it more than 1 year ago, but approx. 3 months ago, the drive began reporting "The device reported an error on a request to write data to media. Hardware failure." I tried to run the cleaning tape, with no success. I rebooted the server, and knotched the aircon down 2 degrees (to 20C), since the hardware felt quite hot. And then it has been running fine until last week (with the server case open). Now I have the same problems again.It is not running the Backup Task because of an error.
In the log file i read:
Error:The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Hardware failure.

Running the 'Library and Tape Tools' doesn't report any error.
But in the Drive Error Log it has several 'SCSI Event: Mech Position Error' and 'Event: A402 {Drive Error Log}'.

I really don't know what to do now! Could anyone give me a hint? It will be very much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT Hardware Failure

The A402 drive error log entry typically means the drive could not servo or properly position itself on the tape. One cause of that is when a tape has a stacking problem internally which can cause uneven tape tension. Does the problem happen on more than one tape?

If you can generate a support ticket, I'll check the low level error code to see what caused the A402.
The journey IS the reward.
Martin M├╕rk

Thank you for your reply,
we have experienced this error on many different tapes. I have attached the support ticket for the drive.
In the mean time, we have tried installing the drive in another computer with another SCSI controller, and also tried other tapes. But, even though, we had the error monday. Now we have switched back to the original SCSI controller.
We have noticed that the drive is getting very hot, even when it's not running the tape. We would be grateful for any help we can get.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Martin,

Yes, the support ticket indicates the A402 error happened on many different tapes.

The low level error codes are 84 or A4 on all the entries.

These are:
84 - Servo underspeed error
A4 - motor b runaway error

It is still possible that these are being caused by tapes with stacking problems, if there's a drive with a roller problem that is causing this issue. If the tapes do not fail in other drives (assuming you have access to a different drive) then the problem is likely in this drive (perhaps something is causing drag in the tape path).

If the tapes do not interchange with other drives, the problem would seem to be confined to the drive in question.

If you have a tape that has failed that you don't mind destroying, you can open up the case and see if there are tape stacking issues within the cartridge.
The journey IS the reward.