4200 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT Library 6/60 - DLT 8000 Drive goes offline

Naveen Shetty
Frequent Advisor

DLT Library 6/60 - DLT 8000 Drive goes offline

Dear All,

Hi, I am facing a situation with DLT Library 6/60 with two DLT 8000 drives going offline simultaneously. LCD Display of the Library shows two out of six Drives offline.

Existing Firmware Versions:
Library = 1140
DLt 8000 Drive = 51.

Kindly if someone can put some light on the same.

Thanks in advance..!
Naveen Shetty
Queries
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Naveen,
plase install HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html and generate support ticket for whole library and attach to your next reply zipped.
Does library go offline or only two drives? I guess these drives are on the same library floor? Is library LVD?
From first look I would recommend to check SCSI bus - cables and terminator(s)
Eugeny
Naveen Shetty
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Pls find the attached ltt report.
Pls note when we tried restarting the Library once more, one of the drive started showing Online, but we can't rely on this. This has been happening quite some time.

It has been noticed that even without server connected onto library this problem is shown on the LCD Display panel of Library.

Kindly suggest..!

Thanks in advance..!

Regds.
Naveen Shetty

Queries
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Naveen,
file attached contains support ticket for Tape 'QUANTUM DLT8000' 4-0/7/0/0.5.0 drive, not for whole library. To make support ticket for library highlight library (not one drive). In addition, attach files zipped with winzip - text files may be big enough and cut (incomplete), but .gz and some other files are not carried by ITRC and give errors.

Anyway, what do I see from that report is you have drive reporting 44C temperature and a couple of write errors.
Please consider lowering room temperature (22C) and if temperature is already 22C check proper airflow - library grabs cold air from the front and exhaust hot at the rear.
Consider library's installed location clearance - 40cm from the front and rear.
Make sure cleaning tape has not expired. If yes, replace with new one.
Remember: drive should display max 37-38C. If it will work in exceeding temperature conditions then drive and tapes will become faulty prematurely
Eugeny