1748275 Members
4005 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT VS80 no hw compression

Petter Hahne
Occasional Advisor

DLT VS80 no hw compression

I can├В┬┤t enable hardware compression for this drive. In Backup Exec 7.0 the check box for hardware compression is greyed out.
OS is NT 4.0 server and the tape driver is the most recent from Hp├В┬┤s s
9 REPLIES 9
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

I fell for that one when first installing Omniback II 4.1. I imagine the same is true for Backup Exec. In Omniback, you can "un-grey it out" but only by editing the configuration files BUT, you don't have to. Hardware compression will be handled by the tape drive anyway.

Although you are probably getting hardware compression I would just check how much data you are backing up against how much data is on the tape.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Petter Hahne
Occasional Advisor

It├В┬┤s hard belive that there is compression during backup.
The log file says: "no compression enabled" and the total bytes backed up matches the data on the disks.
How do I check how much data actually is on the tape?
And how do I edit the configuration fil
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Petter,

Unfortunately I can't help you with specifics because I have no experience with BAckup Exec and no real Windows experience either.

However, I suspect that the message in your log file is indicating that software compression is off, which it should be. Perhaps a good test is as follows. If your tape can hold 60GB of data, backup 70GB to a new tape and see ifyou can fit it all on.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

How is your drive defined in Backup Exex?

It should look like:

Tape0:0:2:0C

The C at the end of the definition implies that hardware compression is enabled. If the C is not there in the drive definition, the checkbox to enable hardware compression in the backup software will be greyed out. So just add a C at the end of your drive definition.

Kurt
Petter Hahne
Occasional Advisor

Kurt,
Can you please specify how to change the drive definition in Backup Exec 7 (windows version).
I have no idea how to do that.
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Petter,

Sorry, I don't know Backup Exex. But I've experienced the same in Data Protector and also in TSM you've got to specify that you want to use hardware compression in the drive definition itself. So I'm extrapolating this to Backup Exec as well.

Do a search for 'compression' in the manual of Backup Exec.

Kurt
Petter Hahne
Occasional Advisor

Kurt,
As seen in the attached picture in my first post, there is no other way to enable compression than that.
Anyone else who has any ideas?
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Petter,

The following document shows how hardware compression can be disabled / enabled for backup exec.

http://www.stompinc.com/kb/bump/237043.htm

Kurt
Petter Hahne
Occasional Advisor

Sorry but that didn├В┬┤t help me. That instruction seems to apply to Windows 2000 and a newer version of Backup Exec.
Perhaps version 7.0 is too old for this drive?