108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT changer driver and mc coomand

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

DLT changer driver and mc coomand

I brought a new DLT tape library made by HP for Sun(Yes, outside says Sun, but inside says made by HP, Sun sales office also confirmed that was made by HP). Tape works fine. But the changer will not work with spt driver as scsi_pt described. Rather it only binds with autox0 driver as /dev/rac/c2t1d0.
System running 11.0.
Compiled /usr/contrib/src/scsi_io.c to see if I could get the device talking back, scsi_io would not work on the /dev/rac/c2t1d0 device.

How could I get scsi_io and mc command talk to this DLT changer?
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You may have to still have to add 'schgr' & 'sctl' drivers to your kernel. Once that is done you will need to add a specific device. Have a look at the attached document. This will solve your problem.

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

I did add schgr and spt driver first. The DLT change would not bind with them. Once I added the autox0 driver, it binded with that one right away. With the spt and schgr driver alone, the instance number was -1, software state was unclaimed and hw stated was unknown.

Do you think I could use the instance number in the autoch driver to add special device file for the spt driver? I am not sure they would match.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Here is another document that may help with your particular model.

http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/B2355-90698_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/00/00/49-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/00/00/49-toc.html&searchterms=STK%7c9840&queryid=20011008-170000

If that does not help, please post a copy of your ioscan output.

# /usr/sbin/ioscan -fn
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

I once had a problem with this, where I had too many drivers in the kernel.
Try each driver at a time.

Also try the sctl driver.

Remember to change your picker device file major number to the major number of the driver.
(use lsdev to determine what the major number should be).

Lastly you may have to harcode the device / driver binding into the kernel using
driver 0/x/x/x sctl

Then rebuild the kernel and reboot.
It can be a long process.

Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

There are two different I/O architectures on older HP-UX systems. autox0 is the driver for one of them (the HP-PB bus architecture found on T and K-class systems - and a few others from the same vintage). schgr is the equivalent for HSC and PCI bus architectures found on all newer systems.

Which one binds (autox0 or schgr) depends which type of bus your device is connected to.

The 'mc' command requires a pass-through interface. schgr and autox0 are actully medium changer class drivers, not pass-through drivers. However, on systems which use schgr pass-through commands can be sent to it as well. On systems using autox0 that is not true - those systems have to be configured using spt, which is mutually exclusive to the autox0 driver.

You must edit your /stand/system file to include spt and also add a driver directive which binds spt to that particular hardware path as this driver is not auto-binding.

You may leave autox0 in your kernel or remove it. It should not matter.

You also need to create device nodes manually for the spt bound devices using the mknod command.
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

I add line to the /stand/system as
driver x/x.0.0 spt
and I removed the autox0 driver from kernel. I verified the spt driver is in the kernel and lsdev -d spt showed the major number is 237, so I mknod of spt as
/dev/spt/c2t1d0 with that major number.

I reboot the system, it still shows:
autoch 0 56/40.1.0 autox0 UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN HP C6280-7000

Why it keeps consider itself a autox0 device, until I added the autox0 driver to the kernel, it has no idea what it was before. Now, I removed the autox0 from kernel, it still claim itself as a autox0 class.

I did a lssf on the /dev/spt/c2t1d0, it came back saying Don't know how to handle driver "spt". Thanks for all the help from you guys.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

I assume your driver line states

driver 56/40.1.0 spt

and not

driver x/x.0.0 spt

This statement specifically binds the spt driver to the device at hw path 56/40.1.0 and it should show up as claimed to spt after the reboot with the new kernel.
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I typed
driver x/x.0.0 just for simple without looking.

The actual line was
driver 56/40.1.0 spt
and I tried
driver 56/40.1.0 sctl
got the same result --
still trying to bind autox0.