1752292 Members
4948 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT1 Issues

David Jones_6

DLT1 Issues

I have an internal DLT1 40/80GB drive and am having some issues. Last night I received an error in ARCserve saying that the cartridge was write protected. I checked it and it was not. I updated the firmware using L&TT and then tried the Read/Write test from L&TT and it also told me that the cartridge was write protected. I have tried cleaning the drive, and have also tried different tapes. I am sure I am using the correct tapes. Does anyone have any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

use say DLT1 drive... are you sure it is compatible with DLT IV tapes (if that is what you are using)... was the drive working fine before this problem started? Any trouble lights on the unit without a tape...

I have had boards fail from time to time (rare, but it happens), and if that is the case then you need the board replaced or a new drive. If the tapes were working before this problem started, cleaning has no impact you are likely looking at a suspect drive. Do you have a tape that has data on it that you can read from the drive? Perform a dd and see of the tape spools and the server reads each block:

dd if=/dev/rmt/ ...
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
The tapes you have problem with, is it new (unused) tapes or not. There is problem if the tapes have been used before in DLT4000 drives (and perhaps other). In this case the tapes has to be degaussed first.
David Jones_6

Everything was working great up until last night. I am using the same tapes, and have tried new ones just to be sure.
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

based on no changes in environment and having a working drive 24 hours ago... suspect the tape drive itself... if the system can see it following a fresh ioscan (just enter ioscan and let it run.. will take a minute), then see if you have some support for the drive
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

also check for any logs that may have captured any particular error messages.... do you run EMS?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

DLT IV tapes (black) are the recommended tapes for DLT1 drives.

Your problem is quite a common one here on ITRC. 99% of the cases, it is a faulty drive, unfortunately...

I suggest you call HP to log a hardware call, 99% of the times they'll just replace it (if it is still under warranty or if you have a support contract).

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

DLT IV tapes (black) are the recommended tapes for DLT1 drives.

Your problem is quite a common one here on ITRC. 99% of the cases, it is a faulty drive, unfortunately...

I suggest you call HP to log a hardware call, 99% of the times they'll just replace it (if it is still under warranty or if you have a support contract).

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

One cause would be loading tapes written by a DLT (not DLT1 drive). It doesn't sound like that is the case here.

If you are getting this on a brand new DLT IV tape, or a tape last written by a DLT1 drive, then something is wrong.

Can you click on the support tool, generate a support ticket, and email it to ltt_team@hp.com? If so, I'll take a look at the drive event log for any clues.
The journey IS the reward.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If DLT1 written tapes are readable, but always showing write protected, it possible that the write protect sensor arm is broke off. There's a little tab on the right side of the drive, which "feels" the position of the write protect sensor. If this tab is broken off, it will always think the tape is write protected.
The journey IS the reward.