StoreEver Tape Storage
1752465 Members
5568 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT35\70 NTBackup Windows 2003 Server- write protected media.

DLT35\70 NTBackup Windows 2003 Server- write protected media.

I connected our DLT Tape Array II to a Proliant DL380 server. So far so good. In Removable Storage the tape drive is recognized as DLT7000 SCSI sequential Device. Only one of the two inserted tapes is recognized, but I can not blank\format or prepare the tape. There's no such menu option. If I drag the tape from'Unrecognized-Unknown' folder to the 'Free-Unknown' folder RMS first asks me whether I want to lose all my data, I confirm. Next is a popup which says: The media is write protected. On the physical tape it is not set to write protected. How can I mount\allocate\prepare\blank or format this tape? And why is my other tape not listed?
Please help me out.
--
Thanks.
Arie.
2 REPLIES 2
Jeffrey Willemsen
Frequent Advisor

Re: DLT35\70 NTBackup Windows 2003 Server- write protected media.

I would suggest checking for conflicting SCSI IDs first. That could be the cause of not seeing the second drive. Perhaps that will solve the write protect problem as well (if both drives now interfere). For the drive that reports write protected: check if the write protect indicator on the right hand side of the drive is on. If so the write protect switch in the drive may be broken. It is fixable.

It is correct you do not have the option to format the tape, on DLT drives that is not needed. You should have two other options though, quick and full erase of the tape. Normally quick erase is sufficient.

Jeffre
Don't change a working configuration

Re: DLT35\70 NTBackup Windows 2003 Server- write protected media.

I found the solution. Each tape unit has jumpers. I was double terminating the second drive. Resetted the jumpers so it single terminates on the last tape only.
--
Arie