1753311 Members
6699 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT7000 Firmware

Jeff Chambers_2
Occasional Advisor

DLT7000 Firmware

Hi, I have 4 DLT7000 drives attached to a proliant 6500 database server. Over the years drives have failed and been replaced with newer levels of firmware. Unfortunately this now means we can't put the devices in arcserve groups as we wish.
How do I obtain the firmware to get all of these drives the same again? I have tried the various tools downloadable from HP (seem to say drives not supported) I have also downloaded DLTsage from Quantum and the latest firmware however DLTsage asks for a .img/.image file and the downloaded file is a .TZ_image?

Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT7000 Firmware

Jeff,
can you please supply the details of the DLT7000 drive.
Partnumber and/or serial code etc..
What version of firmware are you currently on?
Regards
Jeff Chambers_2
Occasional Advisor

Under NT4.0 on the 6500 they report firmware as 296D, 1624, and 2561 unit serial number of the 2561 drive is PXA37S1885. I'm currently unable to install DLTsage on the server with all the tapes due to it requiring a reload to effect. Serial number info is from a drive on a proliant 7000 i'm using as a test-bed.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
is the page you used for your drivers?
http://www.quantum.com/am/service_support/downloads/software/dlt7000.htm
Regards
Jeff Chambers_2
Occasional Advisor

Yes this is the page I downloaded the FIRMWARE from, not interested in drivers.....

When you download the zip file and extract it you do not get a .img or a .image file. You get a .TZ_IMAGE file, if you try and force it through then the flash firmware update in DLTsage fails.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
I have contacted Quantum and am awaiting their response. Looking at the file name .tz_image it couldn't just be a compressed image file? Once the file is written to tape (uncompressed) can it then be loaded compressed???
I'll let you know if I hear back from Quantum.
Regards
Jeff Chambers_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your efforts, I have been waiting for a response from Quantum since Sunday afternoon zzzzzzz
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
I received the following this morning(UK):
"Hello,

Yes the firmware on our website is not correct. I will forward the info to get this resolved.

Thanks again,"
This came from technical.support@quantum.com
I'll let you know as soon as I hear any more.
Regards
Jeff Chambers_2
Occasional Advisor

Had a response from Quantum, basically the drives are OEM Compaq so I need to get firmware from HP. The only firmware (tape specific) suite of software 1st caused the server to fail and on the 2nd attempt told me the drives were not supported (hence my Quantum Quest). Dirve info as follows, i've had me screwdrivers out......

TH6AE-HJ TNA3450250 ?? Reports under NT4.0 and arcserve as firmware
296D
TH6AE-HK CX802S0669 Reports as 1624
TH6AE-HK CX844S2458 Reports as 1624
TH6AE-HJ CX949S4223 Reports as 2561
TH6AE-HJ CX847S2788 Unknown not plugged in/ powered up
Engineer spare can't touch.

My goal is to get at least 3 of these drives onto the same firmware as I
need 3 drives in an arcserve group and arcserve doesn't seem to entertain
drives with different firmware.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
I had another update from Quantum:
"Here is the temp fix. If the user chooses to upgrade their firmware manually or downloaded from the web, you're correct, the option of TZ_IMAGE is not in the File / Open dialog. In order to make this work, until we can get this option in the Open dialog, is to select all files (*.*) and then select the TZ_IMAGE file as the file to use for upgrading the firmware."

Let me know how you get on.
Regards