StoreEver Tape Storage
1753536 Members
7222 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT7000(TH6BE) unseen by ioscan

Jeff Woods_2

DLT7000(TH6BE) unseen by ioscan

DLT 7000 (Quantum model TH6BE; wideSCSI-SE) is correctly identified by ODE/MAPPER2 at 0/0/2/0.3.0 on extscsib interface but is *NOT* listed by "ioscan -f" (nor any of the several other incantations I've tried so far). The drive is attached via a 68(wide)-to-50(narrow) pin cable (with termination for the wide lines) to a (narrow) DVD-ROM (0/0/2/0.1.0) which is connected to the (narrow) external port on the rp2470 running HP-UX(11.11).

How do I get the drive to show up?

P.S. I've probably left off some critical information; don't hesitate to let me know what else I need to provide to figure this out.

Thanks!
Japanese proverb: "Fall seven times; stand up eight."
13 REPLIES 13
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

Ideas

scsi address conflict.

reboot interupt boot and interact with isl the "sea" - does it show there.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

This may help:-

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=264087

Paula
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Jeff Woods_2

Thanks for the ideas, Paula. :)

>scsi address conflict.

There are only three devices on this SCSI bus:
0/0/2/0.3.0 DLT7000
0/0/2/0.1.0 DVD
0/0/2/0.7.0 controller/HBA

>reboot interupt boot and interact with isl >the "sea" - does it show there.

No, neither SEARCH DISPLAY nor SEARCH IPL nor simply SEARCH (which I suspect is the same as SEARCH DISPLAY) see it (even with a make_tape_recovery tape loaded). I've tried booting manually from the path where the DLT should appear while the Ignite tape is loaded and that fails too.

> threadId=264087

There are some good ideas in there (I have already posted to that thread and continue to monitor it) but that problem is that his DLT drive is differential and won't work on SE SCSI. None of the ideas there thus far have solved my problem.

> threadId=147123
> threadId=75413

Those two short threads are also problems where the DLT drive is differential.

In my case, the DLT7000 drive is not differential according to the "E" in the model number. (It would be "F" if differential.) The SCSI connectors on the back of the drive are labeled "SCSI-SE". Also, I've tested the drive, cable and terminator with Quantum's DLTsage diagnostic software on an Adaptec 2940 (narrow SCSI-SE) card in a Windows PC where it works.
Japanese proverb: "Fall seven times; stand up eight."
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Jeff

Try this attached pdf file:-

Paula
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

Does the DLT have a scsi selector on it?

The 68 - 50 pin cable - are you sure it is correctly pinned, and does not need a converter?

The sea should see everything in the scsi chain.

#################################

Try this -
Go into sam's device manager, and see if you can add the device (It probably needs to be in the device portion of the kernel), then,
run
insf -e
to create the device files.

Good luck
Man The Bilge Pumps!
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Jeff

Sorry not thr right file :-(

Paula
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Jeff

http://www.quantum.com/am/support/DLTtapeDrivesMedia/jumper_settings/jmprs_dlt7000.htm

Paula
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi, dont think DLT drives are supported boot devices and are never seen at PDC level, after reboot interupted. Doing a search never finds them. It will however find other sequential drives like DAT.
Are you sure Ioscan doesnt show it?

Try doing an just #ioscan and see if its listed as unknown. other variantes of ioscan including "#ioscan -funC tape" will not find it if it is unclaimed.
You will probably find it as unclaimed and will need to install the STAPE driver into the kernal. Especially if no other tape drives have been used on this system.

If you post the ioscan here we can have a look at it for you. There is patches for the DLT7000's aswell you can download if needed.

Andy