108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT7000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

DLT7000

I have been able to backup my system HP-UX 10.2 fully for the past months. I lost a disk out of an array and had to recreate and retore a vg and a couple of lvol's. In the process of restoring files to my lvol's my DLT7000 wouldn't do restore all files from the backup tape to the lvol it only would do a few and then I pretty much had to go and tell it the directories under the lvol's. I was able to get a hold of a DLT4000 and do a complete restore to the appropriate lvol's. I use Fbackup to do my backups. I used Frestore with the DLT7000 and was getting a lot of headaches. I used Frestore with my borrowed DLT4000 and had no problems. Is something not installed right or do I need to reinstall my drivers or is there patches I'm missing?
It's not done Till I am satisfied
7 REPLIES 7
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Re: DLT7000

This is interesting. You say you backed up to a DLT7000, and were able to restore with a DLT4000. It sounds as if you have configured the DLT7000 to run 20Gb instead of Native 35Gb. This would allow the tape to be recovered on a DLT4000. Do you have any other episodes of recovery where you were not able to restore the files?
I may be slow, but I get there !
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

Ihave only had to restore a single file or two from the DLT7000 and this were successfull. This was the first time I had to restore a large quantity of files or directories.
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Do know the density setup on the drive (lights on left side)..I don't know if the Density may create a potential problem during restore..
Tommy
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

I searched the Knowledge Trees for DLT Firmware and found this doc
CPOlpg51234
It mentions some read problems. You May investigate upgrading the firmware.. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, It was not too bad of a procedure..
Tommy
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

What type of DLT tapes are you using? If they are Compactape III's then that would explain why they can be read on a DLT 4000 but not your restore problem.

Do you specify a configuration file to fbackup (especially the blocksperrecord parameter)? The default is quite a small block and I wonder if the 7000 is having problems with it.

There have been a number of posts recently discussing the best configuration ffor fbackup and DLT, here's one:-

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x629a0559ff7cd4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Regards,
John
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor
Solution

Along the Lines John just mentioned, I saw several other DOCS
8606155704 "Selective DLT frecover fails if tape filesizes do not match index"
and
8606132377 " frecover(2112): Unexpected DDS marker read msg with DLT7000"
I dont know if this helps,
Tommy
Dan Decker
Frequent Advisor

I am using DLTtape IV 1/2" cartridge's
I think Tommy may have hit on a couple issues I need to look into such as the tape settings and also possibly upgrading the firm ware. I don't know if I have access to this knowledge tree Tommy references but I will check out these documents. Thanks alot Tommy and John