1748256 Members
3958 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DTL vs LTO open discussion

Roch Bourdon
Occasional Contributor

One of the reasons we choosed a DLT8000 vs a LTO was because the throughput of the LTO (1st generation) is not much better than that of the DLT8000. (Looks like a bit more than the double if you look around on HP's site) But in fact the numbers for the LTO are with compression and the numbers for the DLT800 are native speeds (not compressed). So they are about the same speed :) Marketing...
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

On which numbers did you base your observation?

LTO drive (230):
* 15MB/s native sustained transfer rate
* 30MB/s sustained transfer rate assuming 2:1 compression.

DLT 8K:
* 6MB/s native sustained
* 12MB/s sustained transfer rate assuming 2:1 compression

(data taken from specification files of external HP site).

LTO drive is definitely superior in transfer performance, so much though that on many systems the system can't keep up with the drive to keep it streaming.
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

When we faced this decision, we felt that Super DLT was the way to go. To get the higher densities, calibrating tracks are required. In LTO, these are magnetic tracks on the back side of the tape. If your tape is accidentally degaussed, the tape is useless. SDLT has a metalic track.

Overall, we found SDLT to be technically superior. I thought it was really cool to watch a SDLT tape drive do a backup while being shaken in a paint mixer! No errors!

Unfortunately, HPs lack of vision with repect to SDLT, we decided to go with Veritas Netbackup using ATL robotic drives. Preserving our investment in DLT7000 and DLT8000 was also a factor.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I was in a situaton similar to yours. We was planning for a new backup solution and had lot of DLT tapes from our old systems (DLT400 and DLT7000).
The question was DLT8000 or LTO.
I choosed LTO because a LTO solution was mutch cheper (samller library and fewer OmniBack licenses). I plan to use DLT tapes (and some of the old equipment) for archive purposes. There is a problem because OmniBack dont support copying data from a LTO to a DLT device, I need to run a extra backup session for this archiving.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

If you need to copy from DLT to LTO, you can actually use HP Library & Tape Tools (HP's diagnostic tool). Under the utilities menu it has a media migration function for just that purpose. And it should provide instructions for the various backup applications, in order for them to recognize the copied tapes.
Raul_7
Occasional Advisor

I meant to reply to this message but ended up with a new message. Please look up my two cents to read my responds.
Good things come to those who wait, "let the backups finish"
Julio Valero
Occasional Advisor

It's not a waste to purchase new LTO. We did and still have on production out DLT investment.

Addind LTO libraries will reduce the backup window, as well as will help you to success on backing up all of the required data.

We have DLT & LTO, LTO libraries do the backup of those servers with some hundreds of GB's of on line storage. DLT are now our backup player for the backup infrastructure.