3653 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dat72 Internal SCSI - Windows XP cannot install the drivers

Matthew Darcy_3
Occasional Advisor

Dat72 Internal SCSI - Windows XP cannot install the drivers

Hello all.

I've just replaced my dat dds 4 with a HP dat 72.

I've installed the driver pack from the HP website.

In device manager I have 8 devices with the yellow explimation mark which have no driver associated with them. All 8 are listed as "HP CPB MTC By SCSI....SCSI Sequential Drive"

I've downloaded the drivers again and unzipped them to my hard disk and done the "select device drivers from a known location" option on windows and hit the XP 32bit drivers to which is informs me it can't install the drivers as there are no drivers that are associated with my hardware.

Questions.

1.) why would I have 8 devices listed - is this the SCSI device not terminated properly (I don't see how as I used the same terminated cable with my DDS4)

2.) What is the correct drivers to use the Dat 72 drive ?

3.) what is the correct installtion procedure as using the installer routine and adding the drivers manually doesn't seem to work.

thanks for your time.
9 REPLIES 9
Matthew Darcy_3
Occasional Advisor

Further updates - the Dat drive is model C7438-00255 - revision d006
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

1) you have a SCSI ID being shared ont he bus and youa re seeing 7 more products then you have (repeated items)
2) Okay as for drivers... whatever backup software you are using... you need to DL the drivers from that manufacturer.
3) DL the drivers from the manufacturer first and then I can give further advice on how to run the .exe
Matthew Darcy_3
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the input on option 1, could you explain in more detail, it sounds like your saying the 8 devices is "normal" which I'm not quite sure I understand if thats what your suggesting or the implications. I did not see this issue with the DDS3 or DDS4 driver I had on this same card/cable before.

I'll be using the windows backup software (cut down vertias) and amanda/tar/cipo on a 2.6 kernel running linux (this is my workstation that dual boot).

Thanks for you time.
Matthew Darcy_3
Occasional Advisor

I've just replaced this drive with the origional DDS4 drive, and I didn't see 8 devices, I've now tried another Dat72 and I see the same thing - 8 devices.

This appears to be the most confusing part. Could someone explain the 8 device issue a little more clearly and if its expected or not and possibly solutions. There are no other SCSI devices on the card/cable so there are no id conflicts, I don't see this problem with a DDS4 nor did I with a DDS3.

This is the first time I'm using a dat 72 so this is not clear to me at all.

Thanks,
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Delete the drivers, install this ones if you are using NTBACKUP or a backup software without it's own drivers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=co-44024-1тМй=en&cc=us&mode=3&

Removable storage manager (RSM) should be set to Disable (unless using native backup in Windows 2000). RSM can cause various problems in backup including compression issues, if an issue with RSM is suspected then a reboot will be necessary after setting it to Disable. RSM can cause many other issues related to backup devices and can be found in Services and will need to be disabled.

See the support matrix here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg51258
drivers should be HPDAT.sys unless you are using the backup software ones.

Matthew Darcy_3
Occasional Advisor

excellent response, thank you.

I'm still unclear no the "8 devices" issue, could you expand on that, why am I seeing 8 devices ? is this a problem ? is it expected ? what should be the correct way to resolve it.
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Well, after you delete de devices, and reboot, will it detect 8 of them again?

Actually what is the SCSI controller card you are connecting this drive to?
Can you check if the drive is connected with a cable properly terminated? there MUST be a terminator in the cable connector.

Make sure it's not using either SCSI ID 7 or ID6, I've seen similar symptoms when using the SCSI ID reserved for the controller.

Also check the dipswitch configuration in the bottom part of the drive, see documentation below.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=316234&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316234&objectID=lpg51068

Heshmat
Advisor

It sounds like a termination issue, check the bus type LVD/SE and make sure you are using a compatible terminator/terminated cable, if your previous tape drives were SE then that would in a way explain you problem. sort of, but you can confirm that the issue is hardware or software by looking at the post screen and check the SCSI bios discovery screen, you know when it detects the device during post, if the issue is there (I mean seeing all 8 devices), then problem is hardware, If you don├в t see all the devices there only in windows then the problem would be software. Then you can troubleshoot appropriately.
Khanna_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Check your cable,termintors and SCSI ID of the device.Is the POST screen also showing 8 device?(while scsi controller scaning fro the devices).If yes then it is not the driver issue.Change the SCSI ID and check.

Khanna