1753638 Members
5634 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protection Expres - Error 1401 - "Please insert compatible media"

Martin Hoffmann
Occasional Advisor

Data Protection Expres - Error 1401 - "Please insert compatible media"

I have installed Data Storage Express 3.1 SP3 on two windows machnines and two linux machines as one backup domain. One linux server holds the HP Ultrium-2 (Storageworks 448i) tape drive.

I want to full backup all 4 servers every night on the tape that is inserted in the drive! So i did use a "daily" job for each day! No comples tape cycles or something:

So i configured one job backing up all 4 servers, formatting the tape. Strange enough the backup did wait after backing up the first linux server (right before the first windows server) requesting another tape:
Error 1401 - Please insert compatible media - Giving me two options: Next and cancel. If i use cancel the next server is backed up without any problems ...
However normally i can't click cancel at night :-)

I also tried the same with 4 separate backup jobs but the same result: It seems to me that the error message appears when the jobs changes from linux to windows machines and vice versa. Backing up two windows machines or two linux machine right after another seems to work ...

Whats wrong here? Can't get it running without requesting another media which is compatible to the job options - what ever that means ...!
Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Martin

Like to add that i currently use the 60days version and have not yet activated my licenses - but shouldn't matter!?
3 REPLIES 3
Martin Hoffmann
Occasional Advisor

Tested some more and it seems that the above tape request appears ALWAYS when a remote machine is to be backed up - regardless of the Server OS or the job options used.

Also creating a custom tape cycle to force one tape to be used didn't help!
Meanwhile i also activated my licenses and entered them - still no difference!

What am i missing here? This renders remote backup unusable for me ...

Kind regards, Martin
Martin Hoffmann
Occasional Advisor

Solved!

My mistake was that in one of my remoteservers a tape drive ist still installed and was recognized by Data Protection Express - since my jobs were not specifying exactly the new ultrium2 drive i wanted to use it alway took a try on my old drive :-(

After specifiyng the NEW drive in my Server everything works as expected!

Just if someone else has the same problems ...
Martin Hoffmann
Occasional Advisor

Second tape drive in old server was to be used by Data Protection Express! See previous post!