StoreEver Tape Storage
1748227 Members
4190 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Protector Express 3.10sp3 and VSS

David Nadle

Data Protector Express 3.10sp3 and VSS

I have Data Protector Express Single Server Edition 3.10sp3, running on Windows 2003 Server R2.

The release notes state that DPE now supports Microsoft VSS. In my backup job advanced options I have "enable snapshots" checked. Nevertheless I have a dozen or so open file failures. Do I need to be running Microsoft DPM (Data Protection Manager) for VSS to work with DPE?

3 REPLIES 3
HayesB

Re: Data Protector Express 3.10sp3 and VSS

Hi David. I'm Hayes Blackwell, the Program Manager with HP's Value Add Solutions team within the Tape Products Group. Unfortunately, the release notes are a bit misleading with regards to VSS support. The DPX-SSE version does not support VSS even though you can check the "enable snapshots" box. VSS is only supported if you upgrade to the full version of DPX. We realize this is a problem, especially for customers using HP tape devices for disaster recovery. The next service pack (SP4) of DPX-SSE is due to be released in October and will have the ability to lock open files during a full backup so they will not be lost during the restore process. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions, please contact me at hayes.blackwell@hp.com. Thank you, Hayes
David Nadle

Thanks for the reply, Hayes. Are you saying that DPX-SSE SP4 will use VSS to "lock open files," or will it use some other mechanism to facilitate full backups? Also, can you confirm that an upgrade to full DPX will let me use VSS as it comes with Win 2003 Server, without requiring MS Data Protection Manager (DPM)?
David Nadle

I see that sp4 is out. Does sp4 single server edition allow VSS snapshots?