1748092 Members
5048 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector UMA

Gareth_14
Advisor

Data Protector UMA

I currently use a UMA to manage my HP 20/700 tape library, does anyone know if I can set up a UMA to manage a Compaq MSL5026 SDLT library, and how to to it?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

UMA is packaged with omniback/dataprotector and libnraries that cannot be managed by omniback , are managed by UMA .

So if you have omniback and your library is supported under omniback , you can use either directly omniback or uma .

What backup software are you going to use . Generally every enterprise backup software supports all libraries now a days . But check the support matrix .

If you are looking for a generic tool , then use the native hpux tool called mc or media changer utility .

do a
man mc for more information .
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

If HP-UX, then use the built-in command mc.

uma is an OmniBack/Data Protector command. There is no "setup". Like mc, you simply issue commands. You have to already understand your hardware being interacted with.

Sounds like you have some script that uses uma, rather than you use uma. Otherwise, you'd understand how uma works and realize how to reconfigure your scripts to manipulate a different library on the system.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Just remember if your using omniback, you can really manage the media properly if you eject and enter tapes with uma or mc
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Gareth_14
Advisor

We are using a script to manage UMA...but have not got my head round it without the script. The problem is I have a UNIX Cell manager and another Win2k server with a SCSI Library attached...How do I get the UMA to control the library, how do I the load up UMA for this library using a SCSI address on the WIN2K server instead of a device file on the cell manager. (apologies a bit new to data Protector)
Gareth_14
Advisor

Do I have to install the UMA agent directly onto the WIN2K server somehow???
Gareth_14
Advisor

I get it.....UMA is loaded onto the server as part of the media agent..