108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drive Cannot Backup/Format Media on MSL 4048

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Drive Cannot Backup/Format Media on MSL 4048

My second tape drive cannot seem to format or backup. I have upgraded the firmware for both the library and the drive to 7.0 and W51w respectively. Tape Drive is a HP Ultriun 4 SCSI 1760 LTO4 drive. I am running DP 6.1
When formating a tape,on the library web console, the status appears as seeking even though the tape is loaded.
6 REPLIES 6
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Test the drive, using library and tape tools.
Use a new tape.

and remember LTT must have exclusive access to the drive, so you must stop all services for DP.

You should run an assesment test on the drive. If that's successfull, the drive is most likely ok.

note. Not all warnings, is a problem.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately the library display doesn't seem to be correctly reflecting the drive activity right now. We have that down as an issue to work on for the next firmware release. It is possible that your drive is doing something other than seeking.

Do you get any error message that you could post?

You can also use the web interface of the tape library and the support tab to pull a support ticket for the drive that didn't correctly format just as soon as DP gives up and then post that here.
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Attached is the ticket. Is this the one?
masthan_1
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

From the log attached, it is understood that
- Device analysis is Passed with Warnings, Firmware rev W51W is out-of-date for Ultrium 4-SCSI and hence update to rev W53W for drive.
- Run the drive assessment test with new blank known good tape and generate the support ticket again.

- There is a warning when used the tape (F91JFAM452 LTO-1. Please note that you can use only tapes LTO 4 to LTO-2(only read) in LTO-4 tape drives.
- Drive assessment test is failed
- This drive is experiencing very high polling, hence the backup is failing.
- Before running any test please check whether you have any tape in the drive
- please check the following for polling regarding issue and make the registry changes as mentioned.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00718488

Regards,
KSK
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Upgrades Firmware of both the Library and the drives to the latest. Still gave errors. Logged case and replaced under Warranty. Issue is gone. My backups are fine.
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Refer to last post