1753345 Members
5103 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EBS Problems

Shanmanz
Occasional Advisor

EBS Problems

We have MSL5026 Connecting to Proliant DL580 throu a MDR and 16 port SAN Switch. Backupexec is being used to backup. Whenever there is a problem on Library or the Library is rebooted. Backupexec fails to see the Library. Only resolution has been to reboot the servers

Does anyone know a resolution to this
6 REPLIES 6
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: EBS Problems

This is expected behaviour. Sometimes you can just disable and then enable the device for backup exec to get it working again. This is no garantee. Go to devices right click on a drive and do properties, unmark and mark "enable this device for backupexec".
If this doesn't work then there is no other possibility then to:
1 startup library, wait for initialisation to finish.
2. startup MDR, wait for initialisation to finish.
3. Reboot servers, backup application should not start yet.
4. start backup software on primary backup server first, followed by the other ones.

When you use Netbackup or Legato or Dataprotector, the chance that you have to go through all this is less big.

Leon
Shanmanz
Occasional Advisor

We are working with HP engineers who do not think its Exbected Behaviour. How can it be acceptable to reboot all the servers attaches to the Fiber Channel
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

I don't know what OS you are running. I presume it is W2K. Make sure the "removable storage" option service is disabled. If you use Emulex based HBA's make sure you have the driver parametersetting resetTPRLO=2
Download the EBS design guide for more info, also for the power on sequence (page 43).

Also see following document:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237047.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/search_forms/SearchFrame.asp?SearchTerm=library%20boot&Path=seer%2esupport%2everitas%2ecom%2fdocs%2f231106%2ehtm

Leon
Shanmanz
Occasional Advisor

The Parameter is set to what u recommended. Removal Storage has been disabled.

Where can I get the EBS design Guide.

I tried BE 9.0 with same results
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Shanmanz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the information.

I tried installing BE 9.0 and using HP drivers instead of Veritas and the problem seems to be resolved. Looks like its a problem with Veritas drivers.