1752461 Members
5643 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESL 712e FC Cable guide

EMCD
Frequent Advisor

ESL 712e FC Cable guide

Can anyone point me to the cable guide for a FC ESL 712e? The SCSI guide is easy to find on the HP website, but doesn't go into the detail we require.

We "play" with ESL libraries in our test area regularly and we think it's cabled properly but we'd like to be 100% by referencing it to a manual / document to rule out cabling when diagnosing our problems.

Many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Re: ESL 712e FC Cable guide

EMCD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the links.

I already have the install guide however the LTO 4 link is very useful.
I'd seen a fully comprehensive guide that isn't in the service manual or SCSI install manual and that's what I'm looking for.
It shows the cable diagrams of the LAN cables into the side and rear of the library controller, the cluster controllers and the IM card. Not sure if it includeds the internal controller ribbon cables but it would be useful?

Cheers
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

LTO4 drives?

Just connect the LAn cables of the drives to the switch (left side), the FC cables of the drives directly to the SAN switch, 1 cable from the switch to the interface manager (for robotics access).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
EMCD
Frequent Advisor

Yup, that's how I have it cabled.
It's how I normally do it, I just need proof on paper/pdf to confirm I was doing it correctly by not using the cascade port (doubting myself).

I had a document containing all the wiring, but I can't find it anywhere - this is the link I'm trying to get to.
The last link you sent covers some of what we need, but the internals and/or block diagrams would be good. The document I had covered both internal and external.
For example, there's two identical 12 pin ribbon cables plugging into the blue sockets in the cabinet controller. I "think" they're plugged in the correct way around, but I'd like to trace back to where they come from and know if the lib will run with these inverted or what area will fail if it doesn't?
There are also two black LAN cables that plug into the rear and side of the library controller. Again, I'd like to trace back to where they go to make sure I do have them in the correct way around.

Everytime we make a change and reboot the library, it takes around 5 -10 minutes. We have two ESL's we're fault finding at present, so you can imagine the extra time it'll add to fault finding if we need to test all cable combinations.

That's why I want to trace all the cabling, make sure everything is 100% where it should be before replacing hardware.

All links appreciated.
Thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IIRC all cabling up to LTO3 is covered in the product manual. Some useful hints about LTO4 in this box I found in commandview TL manual!

However, you cannot do so much wrong.

BTW, a reboot of this library can take up to 45min without problems!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
EMCD
Frequent Advisor

We found a manual with a cable guide in it.