New Discussion

ESL G3 tape library

SOLVED
Go to solution
rolbraz
Advisor

ESL G3 tape library

Hello all,

we installed new ESL G3 tape library with 12 drives for our office backup, but now I'm issuing problem with hardware finding.

The zoning on SAN switch is completed, on HBAnyware I see all drives WWNs but neither Data Protector, neither HP Tape Library Tools can't find library. Do I need to install some drivers or where I need to check the problem? Maybe I need to configure tape library on DP manually, if yes, where I can find SCSI address of library?

Please, if you have some advises, share you minds.

Thansk in advance,

Rolandas

Best Regards,
Rolandas
12 REPLIES 12
Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

Re: ESL G3 tape library

Hello Rolandas,

I am assuming Windows is your OS;

Does the Windows Device Manager see the devices ? Perhaps unknown devices ?

if yes, you'll need drivers (here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows/p1754488765/v70291/cp015518.exe)

if no, you'll need to enable something on the HBA/settings and or possibly update the HBA drivers.

hope any of these suggestions sets you on your way.

best regards,

-Eric

rolbraz
Advisor

Eric,

yes, you are right, I have Windows OS.

I still can't see anything in device manager, so at first I will check zoning and HBA settings and drivers.

Do you know what setting I need to check for HBA?

I see target automaping is enabled.

Also, if I see all drives WWN there is no additional tape library WWN? DP should find and recognize TL through control path drive, I'm right?

Rolandas

Best Regards,
Rolandas
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I had the same issue but with LTO 3 Drives, Windows was unable to detect the drives.

2 points to solve this. Use the storpoint drives from HP and installing microsoft patch kb950903

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950903

I hope it is also the solution for you.

Dany

rolbraz
Advisor

Thanks Dany for your post.

My OS is Windows 2008 Server R2, so, microsoft patch is not compatible.

For Storpoint drivers, is this for special hardware or it is universal drivers for storage?

Maybe you have link from where you downloading these drivers.

Rolandas

Best Regards,
Rolandas
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Concerning the storpoint drivers, if you use the default drives from HP they are storepoint by default.

But as the patch does not apply, the issue is not in the drivers as windows should see an unknow device.

But no that i think about it, does the ESL G3 use also a secure manager like the ESL G2.

In that secure manager you must allow a server to a drive or partition.

From memory and for ESL G2, login to CVTL with admin privileges, go to configuration >> host acces >> partition if any >> and select the host you want to allow.

I am not sure this is also valid for the ESL G3.

Dany

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It's the same for all the other MSL and ESL and disk arrays also, so I would presume it's the same for the G3 - after zoning you need to enter the configuration tool and tell which servers/wwn have access to what.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

With secure manager enabled you need to map the host to the drives and/or robotics.

see host access control.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rolbraz
Advisor

Thanks all for your advises. Torsten was right, after ESL G3 and backup server has been zoned, need to use Secure Manager tool in ESL console to map server to ESL drives. After that all devices are visible in Device Manger and Data Protector.

Best Regards,
Rolandas
andihermawan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

My problem is an extended version of this post so I'll try my luck here.

I can't see robotic arm either from HP-UX or Data Protector. Also from LMC, no WWN is mapped to robotic arm. Is this normal?