108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Enabling Slot 00 on a A4846 library

SOLVED
Go to solution
PSS SYS ADMIN
Super Advisor

Enabling Slot 00 on a A4846 library

I want to store in the slot 00 the cleaning cartridge.
How can I enable the slot 00 of the A4846 library so I can access it from Omniback A.3.50 and I can automate the cleaning process via omniback?

3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Enabling Slot 00 on a A4846 library

On the HP A4846 (or the equivalent StorageTek 9714) the best way is to make the cleaning slot invisible to the host computer and OB2. Using the front panel, configure 'Auto Clean' and then put a cleaning tape (must be identified via a CLNNNNNN barcode) in the first slot. Your library will appear to lose 1 slot (e.g. if you have 60 slots, 1 - 60, you now have 59 slots (1 - 59) and what was slot 2 is now slot 1. The library will now take care of the cleaning and OB2 knows nothing about it.
You do not need to enable dirty-drive detection for the OB2 device.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
PSS SYS ADMIN
Super Advisor

The library has 100 slots and 4 drives.
Omniback sees the slot 1 to the slot 99.
So, do you think I have to modify the library configuration to autoclean the drives?
I have not barcodes. Do you think the cleaning process could have success?

Thank you
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I have not tried this without barcodes on my library but after checking the library manual, I think that it will work without barcodes. The cleaning tape must be in slot 00 for the 'Auto Clean' feature to work. Make sure that you do not enable any drive cleaning from OB2 because the whole idea is that the library itself takes care of everything.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.