1753925 Members
9130 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 58 with 40/6 Autoloader

Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

Error 58 with 40/6 Autoloader

Just powered this drive up, and I get this error. Anyone have any ideas how to unjam this Y motor? Tried the 'mounting screw' idea on the HP Error number guide... no dice.

Apologies if this is double posted - Thought I posted it before but it doesn't seem to appear on the forum...

Cheers,

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
here's a link where you can see autoloader codes list http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50043&locale=en_US (just FYI maybe you'll see more than in your guide).
If power cycling autoloader did not help, then either you need to open the box to see what's wrong or call HP for unit replacement if it's under warranty/support contract
Eugeny
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

Uh oh....

I noticed that there was a *tiny* square bit of plastic stuck in the bottom right hand corner of the drive casing. It was causing the front bezel to push outwards slightly on power on self check. I managed to carefully work the tiny plastic sqaure loose, and suddenly, the drive the powered up OK.

So I thought I had solved the problem and was rather happy... but...

Now The drive will not allow me to eject the magazine. I get an error 71 error. The drive notes say this is something to do with the front door of the drive...?

Everything (else) in the drive appears to work 'mechanically' it's going to be very annoying if this drive is rendered useless just because of a tiny bit of plastic....

The drive is out of warranty so I don't mind opening it up and having a fiddle.

Any pointers on what I should be looking for?

Many thanks,

Jeff
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Very good Jeff,
71 means "The (Y) motor has jammed while opening the door". I guess (sorry never seen its mech and how it is designed) that Y motor (Y means vertical), when operating, opens door, and this message may mean that it can not open the door. I also guess that it opens door hitching onto its plastic parts... thus maybe this plastic part you've found inside is that hook Y motor tries to hitch on?
I think the only way for you to get into the box to undertstand how it should be and fix broken part (if possible).
Good luck!
Eugeny
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

OK we have a result on the Error 71.

Here is what I did:

Got the following parts :

1X Can of WD-40 'lube oil
1X thin / strong flatnose screwdriver
1X small bright torch

Took the device out of the server, placed it on a lab test bed with a PSU.

The device was not ejecting, 'Error 71'. When pressing the eject, there were some whirring sounds, two short bursts and then one medium.

I noticed that the sounds were quite different when the device was placed on its side.

Taking a good close look at the moving parts, I could just about see some of the plastic moving parts on the unit do a 'cycle' then give a tiny 'shake' and then attempt another 'cycle'.

So now I'm thinking that there is something catching someplace in the mechanics.

Not having any of the tools to get in the box, I had to get famliar with the mechanics of the unit from squinting in from outside and shining the torch in from another angle.

Got a good idea of how the device worked from this, and how the moving parts visible on the outside, tie together on the inside.

Eventually I worked out, through a bit of good old trial and error, that I could vary the whirring noise from the eject by carfully bending the outside metal parts of the device.

The part of the device that gave me the most variance in noise was the bottom left hand side, if you are looking at the front of the unit from head on.

Turning the unit on its side, levering outwards the corner of the unit, and then hitting eject.... gave a markable different noise, far more prolonged whirring.

I applied more WD-40, worked away at this corner, until suddenly, out came the mag. The error 71 was no more.

Inserting one tape at a time, I went through a power cycle, insert mag, load tape, unload, eject mag... all without problems.

I suspect that perhaps something had simply got jammed... and somehow I got the sweetspot.

Conclusion :

When toubleshooting autoloader problems, I can recommend to everyone, that ears are just as important as eyes!

Cheers,

Jeff