1753879 Members
7178 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error on tape drive

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Error on tape drive

I have a SMART Desktop SE DDS3 DAT Autochanger (C6366A) connected to my L2000 server. HP-UX 11.0 is the OS. The tape drive is connected to the SCSI/NIC card in slot #1.
I am getting errors on this tape drive almost every other week. I am not sure if it is because of the card or the drive. I am attaching the most current error. Hope that someone can help me with this.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

Without seeing the error you intended to post, take a look at the document located here:

http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000016256931

HTH,

Dave
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Dave,

I checked out the site that you gave me. I have been using this tape drive on my L2000 for the past 4 months with great success. The problem is that about every other week I get some kind of a tape error. What I am wondering is could there be a problem with the SCSI/NIC card. I am considering purchasing a new SCSI card (A5150A?) and install the tape drive to its own channel.
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

You may want to look at this document as well. This appears to be something associated to SCSI polling:

http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000058984692

HTH,

Dave
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

David,

I checked the site you gave me and followed the instructions. I found that POLL_INTERVAL is commented out so it isn't a factor in the problem.

Any other suggestions?
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

Before replacing the card, I would check to be sure you had the correct terminator on the device, make sure your cables are okay, and check for the latest WSIO SCSI patches. The SCSI/LAN combination is part of the Multifunction Core I/O board and as such is a completely separate channel from anything else. The SCSI port is Ultra2 LVD SCSI. You could purchase a separate interface, however, I'm not sure it will resolve the problem.

HTH,

Dave
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Dave,

The terminator is the same one that was on it when I had it connected to my D370 server and it had no problems. The SCSI cable was replaced 3 months ago and we were have the same problems then too.
What patches do I need? I will take a look but I am not sure what I am going to be looking for.
One more thing to add to the mix is that I am planning on upgrading to HP-UX 11.i in the near future. Might that also fix my problem?
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

If your planning on upgrading make sure that the latest SCSI patches are installed. Watch out for any other dependencies.

HPUX 11

PHKL_27003
PHKL_24187
PHKL_25902
PHSS_24044
PHSS_27265

HPUX 11i

PHKL_26519
PHSS_27166
PHCO_25870
PHKL_27304
PHKL_27055