1748204 Members
3197 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Errors 13xx with Tapeware

Ivan Landtsheere

Errors 13xx with Tapeware

- Windows 2000 server with SP2
- HP DAT40i (c5683A Firmware C111)New !!!!
- Tapeware 6.2 SP5B
- Cleaning done every 5 backups
- Tape Drive disabled in the Device Manager
- RMS Service Disabled
- HP tapes DDS4 New !!!!!!!!
I had a lot of errors 1300 in the log of my backups (the cleaning was done every 5 backups). I have also run the cleaning tape 5 time in a row as described in the LTT from HP, but it still continues.

Now I've replaced the tape drive and my tape set. THEY ARE BRAND NEW ! I've reinstalled Tapeware 6.2 SP5B... And ... I still have the same errors in my logs.

Tapeware support tells these errors are generated by the Tape Drive and that I have to contact HP...

7 REPLIES 7
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

On which HBA (SCSI card) is your DDS4 drive attached?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Ivan Landtsheere

The drive is attached to the embedded SCSI Card (the server is an HP LC2000)with the ID 3.
Drs. Bov

13xx errors are media errors but have to do probably with bad streaming of the drive. If so the next drive will fail again after some months. You can download a support tool: http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools If you can create a 'support ticket' and compare the numbers TR & TSAS the should be 'nearly' the same. If TR is 5 or 10 times higher you might have a streaming problem.
Pls. attach drive on B-channel of Symbios card (no Raid of course).
N
Thibaut Bertrand
Occasional Contributor

Where can I find the TR and TSAS informations in the Support Ticket and what do they mean ?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Where can I find the TR and TSAS informations in the Support Ticket and what do they mean ?

Under the detailed device information, look for 'Tape Tools Compatibility'. Under this entry will be a number of abbreviated fields, including:

TR = Total Repositions
TSAS = Total Start/Stops
The journey IS the reward.
Thibaut Bertrand
Occasional Contributor

TR : 16133
TSAS : 1154

What can I do now ?
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

Try running the Library & Tape Tools compression test, in addition to testing compression, it also displays a crude estimate of the data transfer rate. If the data transfer rate is less than 4-5 MB/sec, that would suggest a server bandwidth problem. Drives will stream-fail if the server bandwidth is strangled, and stream-failing will cause "shoe-shining", shoe-shining can cause data heads to clog with tape debris and that will cause r/w retries which in turn will cause further stream-failing. You need to break this loop by cleaning the heads and ensuring that data is sent to the drive at a rate sufficient to keep the drive streaming.