Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Good morning,
We have installed yet windows 2000 server on our Proliant 3000 since 1 year without any problems. A few months ago, the device began to have errors (Event ID 9) but restart without any problems. Now, since 3 days, the device is always offline. When we stop and restart the server, the device is coming online again but when we start a new backup, the device is coming offline again with the event ID 9 after 1 hour.

Any help is welcome
Per advance, thanks for your help
Arnaud
10 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

I have encountered very similar errors with a Storage Works 2020 on a Proliant ML530. Event ID 9, when the veritas Backup Exec SCSI drivers are installed. The Compaq drivers for the SCSI return a parity error and do not see the tape drives or the Media loader/changer devices.

Backups were running successfuly last week, but the devices are now displaying an "Offline" status. Does any one know a solution to this situation?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

I have the same problem, on a ml 530 & compaq DLT-40/80 always off-line for 3 day's now. Event 5 parity-error. Nothing happened, no new installations etc. help help

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Just ran into same problem on my SAN. HSG80/MA8000 with a MSL5000 library. Was working great for months and recently the library and drive have began to go online and offline randomly. Event viewer is giving event ID 9 related to the KGPSA driver, saying it did not respond within the time out period.
martin_113
Occasional Advisor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Hi

Did you get to the bottom of this I am trying to implement a new msl5052 and getting the same error?
Ricardo Sousa_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem, in every server I've connected to the SAN. I'm using Data Protector 5.10 and I've been getting device I/O error in DP, and simultaneously event id 9 in w2k event viewer. Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

I've been getting event id 9 even when i'm not performing any backups, at a much lower rate. When i'm trying to perform backups the rate increases a lot.

I´ve got DL380, DL560, ML350 mixed in this enviroment, the library is a MSL5030, the HBA's are fc2101. I've tried with kgpsa driver version 5-4.82a14 and 16 with the same results. I've confirmed the RESET_TPRLO is set to one.

To increase the drama of the situation i've got a couple of servers (the most critical ones) that keep crashing (blue screens) immediatly after a series of event id 9 errors.

If you know anyway to solve this problem, pelase let me know.

Thanks.
Ricardo Sou
Dave Korsunsky_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

I am still experiencing the same problems. Event ID 9's coming from the CPQKGPSA driver, when running backups via the SAN. Also getting device I/O errors from Veritas software. HP was able to send me a utility called "HP Driver", which collects the registry information on the CPQKGPSA driver, and any other SAN related drivers on the servers (i.e. Secure Path, HSZDISK etc) Using this utility you can compare the registry settings between one of the servers that is working fine, and one that is giving event ID 9's and see if you can find any inconsistencies. I am still working on this at one of my client's experiencing problems. Will update if I have any luck.
Dave Korsunsky_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

One other thing Ricardo, last time I spoke with HP they said that the TPRLO setting should be set to 2 when using version 14 and higher of the driver for SAN based backups.
Ricardo Sousa_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

My problem seem to have disappeared. The only changes made so far included the following:
1. Disable Fibre Information Agents in Insight Manager
2. The port 0 on both FC Switches showed huge amounts of errors. The SAN Management Appliance was/is connected on that port. Since the FC HBA for SMA are 1Gb, the default value for that port (negotiate) was changed to a fixed 1Gb.

It´s not absolutetly clear which one of the changes did the trick, but the fact is the errors are gone, and my customer is now running a stable SAN enviroment.
There is still some questions in the air, and I know for a fact that HP support is looking into them, but those are minor "problems" and fine tune issues.

And yes i have the RESETTPRLO is set to 2.

Ricardo Sou
Craig Howe
Occasional Advisor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Hi

I was wondering where the settings for (manual) setting of speed/duplex on the HBAs and Fibre switches are? I have a KGPSA-CY and a 1GB 8-EL Compaq San Switch but after talk on the forum of people setting these to manual instead of autonegotiation I would like to do the same, however can't find such settings.
Also any ideas on clearing the logs on the 8-EL? I have done a porterrshow on the 8-EL but wish to clear it after a configuration change to see if there are further errors appearing.
Thanks for your help
Ricardo Sousa_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event ID 9 : device did not respond...

Hi,

I don't think that you'll need to change the speed setting on HBA. As for the switch, you can connect to the switch via http browser, and through admin view you can set the speed for invidual ports. If you have the switch connected/configured to the network, you connect through a console cable to the switch and use the portCfgSpeed command to set the speed of a specified port.
The only way I know to clear the counters is a switch reboot, or power off power on.

Ricardo Sousa