1752783 Members
5819 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

External NSR 2400 lacks auto power-on

Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

External NSR 2400 lacks auto power-on

When my installation resume power after a power fail, all elements power-on but the NSR. I must push the power button "fingerally".

This has bring more than one problems to the resiliancy of the backup.

Can I solve this problem by reconfiguring the NSR box??

Of course I know what an UPS stands for.

A modest advise to product manofacturing: never use a push-only power switch !!
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: External NSR 2400 lacks auto power-on

Antonio, I think that having a autopower on is not enough, you probably know that in a SAN environment, a power up of the components should be made in a certain sequence, and then you need first to have the tapes up and ready, then the library get ready, at the same moment the switchs should become ready.
Now you can start the nsr, and discover the "up and ready" devices, these will fill up the map (if the nsr is up while e Drive is not yet reay, the Lun will be down)
The NSR will then register itself in the switchs, and then you can power up the hosts.
Due to the complexity and the interaction of all the component,after a power failure, probably the function you are asking will not help a lot, and may cause other problems

marino
Antonio Gonzalez_4
Regular Advisor

yes Marino, I'm aware of all this but ... this "feature" is quite painfull in a light out environment.
We develope a lot of tools and effort for virtual consoles and so on ... but need to go down to the datacenter (same city ?) just to push a very very small button. It's so small that most of the times you need to go yourself because nobody could find it between so many gadchets in the back dark of a croudy rack.

At least the library use to have a decent traditional on/off switch in the back.

Only when engineers use the products that design (or that users give their feedback before the product design) theese problems will be history.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ha ha, I agree.
everything is remotely controlled, and then a feature to turn it on automaticaly (with some delay or check) or better, allow a remote power on via the Web interface would realy facilitate the job to a lot of people.
I think this is valid for several boxes in a DataCentre, it is already available on servers via remote management card, and would e welcome for every "black box"

;)
Marino