StoreEver Tape Storage
1748261 Members
3715 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FC Luns w/DLT8000's not seen by IOSCAN

John Olendy

FC Luns w/DLT8000's not seen by IOSCAN

I am running 2 HP 9000/800's on a SAN w/ 8 other OS's. All of ther OS's can see 4 DLT8000 drives. The 2 HP machines running HPUX 11.11 and A5158A Tachyon adapters cannot see the last 2 DLT8000's. There are 2 libraries attached to a FC to SCSI bridge w/2 DLT8000 drives in each. they are as follows:

L700, 2xDLT8000's On LUNs 2 and 3.

Adic Scalar 100, 2xDLT8000's on LUNs 13 and 14 (plus the robot that cant be seen on LUN 12)

I have installed numerous patch sets for the 5158 tachyon and any other patch sets on all of these posts for LUNS or FC adapters. Wondering if i am missing something? Any help would be appreciated...
8 REPLIES 8
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

I am not sure but I read somewhere that having a tape drive on the same path with disk lUNS is not a good idea with HPUX .
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

I am not sure but I read somewhere that having a tape drive on the same path with disk lUNS is not a good idea with HPUX .

Try configuring the tape drives on a different path .
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Do both of these libraries pathed onto the same FC card, or is one library on one and the second on another?
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

John,
renumber LUNs to be less than 8 (LUN0-LUN7). Libraries are usually shown as direct attached devices (using peripheral addressing mode - hwpath.sw#.pt#.255.alpa-hi.alpa-low.lun#) and can hold only 8 LUNs (3 bits representation)
I believe it will help
Eugeny
John Olendy

These libraries are both mapped onto the same FC card (A5158A). They are also hanging off the same bridge. I can always set the bridge mapping to auto to lower the luns but that would screw alot of other machines on the SAN up. The HPUX OS should deal with this in some manner as FC cards have a potential 126 device limit.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

For bridge address will be
hwpath.sw#.port#.bridge-alpa.SCSI-bus#.SCSI-Id.Lun#
As we see lun, again, utilizes 3 bits only and can be 0..7
Move this lib to another SCSI channel, set it up not to work in lun mode (use scsi ids).
Eugeny
John Olendy

I'm not sure if i follow you on this. I cannot move it to its own scsi Channel physically as both libraries are on the same router. Is there anyway to map these higher luns to something lower at the HPUX level without any hardware tweaking?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

John, why can't do do the following way: L700 robot lun=0,drives are 1&2, and A100 robot lun=3 and drives are 4&5?
For perfomance reason maybe it's better, if you have one more free SCSI port on the bridge, to connect libraries to different ports? Think about it. 4 DLT8000 drives on the scsi bus is too many.... but 2 are ok.
Eugeny