Fault Code 0501 (Hard) Barcode Reader Not Detected

Hardware:

MSL 6030 w/LTO3 drive - Master

MSL 6030 0 drive config - Slave

MSL PTM

All with latest (5.20) firmware

Error: 

"Fault Code 0501 (Hard) Barcode Reader Not Detected"

During a regular routine of cycling tapes in and out of the library, first cycling a tape out of both Mail Slot 0 (Master) and Mail Slot 1 (Slave) and cycled a tape back into Mail Slot 0 but we were hit with the above error while we tried, unsuccessfully, to cycle a tape back into Mail Slot 1

I understand that this will 95% lean toward hardware being the failure but wondered if there were any other scenarios that others had experienced a fix otherwise.

---More information---

Tried a scan with L&TT and could see library but not drive as per error in snapshot below.

LTT-Drive-Error.JPG

I will be going local and will see if there is any problems physically with the hardware or cabling.  There seems to be a disjoint in communication between the MSL and a NetBackup management server.  This may mean nothing as it was the MSL GUI that displayed the error mind you.

---Update---

Following an intrusive look at the hardware and attempts at running several diagnostics it seems as though it is indeed a hardware issue.  The Slave library failed to initialize fully at startup, remaining hung at attempts to initialize the Barcode Reader, I was unable to run any diagnostics.  As the initialization failure of the Slave halted any use of the Master in the Master/Slave configuration I configured the Master back to a Standalone.  The Master works fine and atleast we will have some backups.   This enforces advice Torsten had provided, regarding a previous set of Stow Errors (link to Stow Error thread), that there is a hardware issue with the library.  Looks like opening a ticket with HP is the only path open at this time.  Unless someone has a magic bag they can lend.

I will update this thread with any information HP provides.

-Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Wouter Ooms
Occasional Advisor

Re: Fault Code 0501 (Hard) Barcode Reader Not Detected

Hello GNewton,

Did you find any solution to your problem?

I am experiencing the same problem on our tape drive...

Regards