StoreEver Tape Storage
1748289 Members
3073 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fault Code (3014) Hard Drive Stow Failure

Boualem Kaci

Fault Code (3014) Hard Drive Stow Failure

I have been getting this error message on the display panel of my MSL5000 tape library. I upgraded the controller firmware from 0.513 to 0.520 and the SDLT drive's from V85 to V95 hoping that this would correct it. The performance improved somewhat but I am still getting the message. Is it intrusive in anyway? the message requests a reboot before it disappears but comes back at the next scheduled backup. Help!
4 REPLIES 4
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Re: Fault Code (3014) Hard Drive Stow Failure

Hello
This are my suggestions:

-Check that the drive shows good status on the drive status screen by touching the Status button before attempting to load a cartridge
-Check the tape cartridge for damage
-Ensure that the tape is compatible with the drive
-Load/Unload another cartridge to the drive via the Move Media button to verify failure

If everything seems to be normal then the next step is to use L&TT to diagnose your drive:
http://www.hp.com/support/lttdownload

You need to run an Assessment Test, if it fails you need to contact Tech Support to get the drive replaced (1-800-633-3600 opt 1, opt 2 and then say "DLT TAPE PROLIANT" this is just a keyword to reach the right team)

Make sure have a Support Ticket when you call, that'll expedite the process very much.

This is a FAQ for LTT if you need to know
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00791550/c00791550.pdf

And Also the Manual:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00713152/c00713152.pdf

Regards,
Efrain
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

The message indicate that the picker was not able to insert the tape in the drive.

You should try to understand why this is reoccuring, and see what is the situation when it occurs.

it may be a cartridge problem, a picker problem or o drive problem.

There is a test in the library menu that allow you to load/unload continusly the tape to a drive, running the test may help you to identify the cause of the error.
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kaci, do you happen to know whenever you get the error, where is the position of the picker? Is it always in the same drive? You might as well consider running a Force Reconfiguration from the front panel of the library.

Another thing that I'll recommend you is if you get always the error in the same drive position. To narrow out either if it's the picker of the drive, try swapping this drives and see if the error will show up in the original position of the drive, or actually it will follow the drive.
In that way you should be able to pin point the issue.

Boualem Kaci

It may have been a bad cartridge or a picker problem. The picker was unable to extract the tape. I power-cycled the library three times and was finally able to move the tape to a slot and remove it. Thank you all for your help.