StoreEver Tape Storage
1752780 Members
6470 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update failure on HP Superstore Dat 40

freemann

Firmware update failure on HP Superstore Dat 40

After using HP L&TT software to do a firmware update the firmaware update started but the diagnostic utility notified me that it failed.
From then on the dat is not recognised as a hp supported one but the software says the device is not currently supported and on the device information the following are stated: manufacturer: c63
Product id: C0
Description CD_Rom
Firmaware Revision: (blank)
Is there a way to recover the dat, I am really unhappy and blame myself :(
I can't believe there is no way to repair this dat. By the way it is out of warranty.
Thanks in advance
Freemann
2 REPLIES 2
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware update failure on HP Superstore Dat 40

Hi,
how did you try to apply the firmware update?
Did you have the upgrade on the media in the device or did you try to apply from disk?
You should be able to get the firmware on media and update directly.

That said, firmware is notoriously difficult to fix once corrupted.

Regards
freemann

Re: Firmware update failure on HP Superstore Dat 40

Well I made the stupid mistake to accept the prompt of the L&TT to update the firmware from the web as I said the diagnostic found a fault in the update. I run a dos boot disk with the aspi driver for my inition scsi card and run a dos scsi tool which recognised the firmware and the drive properly it did read write operations on the dat aswell np, still the L&TT won't recognise the drive as one of his. And backup exec gives an error when it tries to initiliaze each own drivers for the device.
It seems that the firmware is partly destroyed and recognised in some way or another. You said something on update throu tape where can I find, how can I make this? By the way I have another dat seagate 4-8 here in case it maybe needed to do the copying of the firmaware into a dat. I just got this dat second hand and I really depended on it for my backups. Local HP here says firmware faulty dats cannot be repaired and that I will have to buy another one on special agreement. I really can't believe the lack of a failsafe way to restore such expensive devices.
Thanks in advance