StoreEver Tape Storage
1753797 Members
8380 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update problem with DAT72

Firmware update problem with DAT72

I'm using HP StorageWorks library and Tape Tool version 4.1 SR1. I made a scan, the software detect a HP C7438A with Firmware WP5A. I download and copy the current release of the firmware in the in the firmware folder of the StorageWorks software. When I go to firmware section just beside the new release (V601) in the selectable colum you can read wrong personality. I try to made a search with C7438A on the web site and I found nothing I try with Dat72 internal SCSI. I found many thing but I don't know if it's the good thing for the device. If I look for the old firmware (WP5A) I also find a model Q1522B. I just realize that the same storage drive have 3 models name and they all match with the description "HP StorageWorks DAT 72 SCSI Tape Drives". I just want to know what is the good one model and the current firmware release for that device.

LOL wrong personality...
4 REPLIES 4
Dylan W
Advisor

Re: Firmware update problem with DAT72

Hello Francois

I am expecting that there may be a different part # on the drive than what library and tape tools is reporting. Often times LTT 4.1 will report many different drives of the same type with one part #. If a firmware reports as "wrong personality" :) you definitely do not want to flash the firmware to this revision. I would suggest if the drive requires a firmware update, that you flash the firmware to WP5A.

Let me know if this helps

Dylan :)

The reason why I want to flash the firmware it's because I have some problem with NTBACKUP. I know that is not the best backup software of all time but I must use it. No money, No Candy. The backup work fine when I run it manually but nothing append on a schedule one. No error in the event viewer, empty ntbackup log. Strange thing. I use the same Ntbackup switch at the office and on many other costumer sites everything work fine but with different hardware backup device but with the same format DAT72.

Thank for the reply !

Hi Francois,
The drive you have is of a different firmware personality than the V601 firmware you downoaded. There a few vintages of DAT72 drives with the same product id (C7438A) and the firmware personality is used to distiguish each drive vintage. Since you stated that your drive has WP5A, I hope that is a typo as we have not released any DAT72 drive with WPXX firmware (that I know of). If you have a DAT72 SCSI drive, it should have a ZPXX firmware version and ZP5A is the latest firmware release for that tape drive. HP L&TT is acting as expected by not allowing you to use the V601 firmware. If your system with the drive connected is connected to the web, try running the "Get files from web" function of HP L&TT. The tool will suggest the correct firmware file for download. If you are able to use HP L&TT to acquire the firmware please let us know and we can direct you to the file ftp location.

Regards,

Bryce
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Dylan W
Advisor

Hi Francois

I would suggest that if you flash the firmware to the device that you use the current version showing in LTT. Also, these links have helped me in the past with NT backups.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814583

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/maintain/backup.mspx?mfr=true

Hope this helps

Dylan