1751902 Members
5150 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware won't upgrade for C1533a

Robert Churchill
Occasional Contributor

Firmware won't upgrade for C1533a

I'm trying to use the HP Library tools to upgrade the firmware for C1533a but the installation errors out with wrong personality. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Iain F. Brown
Valued Contributor

Re: Firmware won't upgrade for C1533a

You need to select Factory Overrides option. This is Password protected.
Paavo Leinonen_1

Hi,

where can I get this "Factory Overrides Password"?

Should it really be needed? Why would HP restrict firmare updates to it's products?

I have a fimilar problem, pls. see http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x941a630fe5c4d5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

-Paavo (paavo.leinonen@wipsl.com)
paul courry
Honored Contributor

"Why would HP restrict firmare updates to it's products? "

Because if you blow the upgrade, the tape drive is nothing but an expensive paperweight and firmware upgrades should almost NEVER be necessary.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Most tape drives have different firmware images depending on channel and or hardware, even if they have the same product id.

HP L&TT is designed to recognize these upfront and only allow the selection of compatible firmware files. Even if the file was selectable, the download would still be rejected by the hardware. Thus the password protection would not help in this case.

The password protection is for downgrading of firmware and updating firmware on products with corrupted product ids, both cases that are considered corner cases. The password is not protecting HP, but preventing the user from doing things that in 99% of the cases shouldn't be done anyway.

HP L&TT does currently not support updating the firmware of DDS drives that are attached to HP-UX systems. These must be updated through the HP Support Tools Manager.

Also, there are two generations of C1533A drives, with different firmware personalities. If a personality mismatch is reported you may not have the correct file downloaded. Use HP L&TT to connect and download all C1533A firmware and then try again.
Paavo Leinonen_1

Thanks Jan,

very good answer.

I already have downloaded all available models/versions of C1533A firmware in LTT (at least twice...), but none of them will install.

My C1533A has been used with HP-UX before, so maybe that is the reason.

Can I use o_nt9608.exe or n_nt9608.exe (these are for the 2 different generations of C1533A's, right?) safely? So that the right one will install, and the wrong one will refuse to install?

-Paavo
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

If you generate a support ticket and e-mail it to ltt_team@hp.com, we can verify this for you.