5160 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Formatting 200 GB tape

Michel_57
Occasional Contributor

Formatting 200 GB tape

Hi,

I want to get the most out of our 200 GB tapes. Can I just format the tape default and let HP dataprotector figure it out. Or do I need to format it to 200 or 400 GB??

Thanks,

Michel
7 REPLIES 7
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Re: Formatting 200 GB tape

Michel,
the value of GB you enter in the DP capacity field has no influence over the amount of data you can write to your tape(s). It is only used by DP for representing the free/occupied space of a tape in a graphical fashion.

Just format the tapes with 204800 (1024 x 200). DP will store as much data as it can.

HTH
Claudio
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As an addition to the previous reply. The value entered when formatting the tape is only an initial value. The value is updated when the media is used (becomes full). So, if you are using hardware compression, you will see the size for each media change each time the media has been in use.
Michel_57
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

So formatting is at 200GB is just for me to see that it is an 200/400GB tape?? Is there a switch to adjust the default 100GB format space to 200GB?

And if it does not matter how big the size for formatting the tape is what is the use of it?

Thanks,

Michel
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

As far as I know, there is no such "switch". The size you enter is used only to see how much data you have left graphically. Thus, if you format a tape at 200Gb, and you write 50Gb, the pie chart will display as 25% full. However, if you write 300Gb on such a tape (assuming it is an LTO2 tape, of course), Data Protector will adjust the size of the tape for you. It won't restrict you to write only 200Gb.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
The default size for each media type can be configured in the global option file. Please note that there is only one Ultrium media type in DP. Size apply to all Ultrium medias .
Michel_57
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info,

If there is hardware compression then why shouldn't I format the tape at 400GB (the tapes are LTO2)

Thanks,

Michel
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can set media size to anything you want when formatting a media. It has no impact on the actual media capacity.

Changing default size or not is your own choice. Below is why I don't bother:
- The size set when formatting is only initial. The size is updated each time the media is used.
- The 400GB compressed data in the media specification assumes 2-1 compression ratio. In the "real word", compression ratio can be anything from 1-1 to 1-10 or more, depending on your data.