8089 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Got error again when run Dat 24 Re-calibration script

Cody_8
Occasional Contributor

Got error again when run Dat 24 Re-calibration script

Hi

I'm using a SureStore DAT24, attached to a English Windows 2000 Server which the default language setting is Traditional Chinese.

I got an error when I ran script DDSWriteRecalProc to perform re-calibration with using a new tape, and I'm using L&TT 3.4 SR1.

Script Output:

Script version: V17.04.2003
HW-CONF = 0x00040001
Checking firmware file ../firmware/C1537A_L111.frm correct ...
Storing values from drive calibration table
Write Current values DDS3: 0x28
Write Current values DDS2: 0x23
Reading tape usage from serial EEprom
Tape usage is dds2 = 0 dds3 = 790
Prompt user to load NEW DDS3 media cartridge
Waiting for 'DDS3' tape to load ...
Checking for correct cartridge type ...
Using NEW media to Clean heads ...
Sending Servo Cmd : 18
Rewinding tape ...
Starting Write Current Recalibration ...
Checking for correct cartridge type ...
Set Buffered Mode: ON ...
Setting write current to 0x28 ..
Loop: 2 ERT value too high .. skip this write!
Setting write current to 0x23 ..
Loop: 8 ERT value too high .. skip this write!
Setting write current to 0x1e ..
Setting write current to 0x19 ..
Setting write current to 0x14 ..
Setting write current to 0xf ..
Setting write current to 0xa ..
No valid ERT values have been stored ..

Running script
- Reading script file C:\Program Files\HP Library & Tape Tools\scripts\ddsWriteRecal.ssc
Starting script execution of script DDSWriteRecalProc
Script exception occurred
- SCSIScript: script aborted (Line 633, Error: SYS_Abort() called to abort script)
Script execution completed

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you very much for your help!

best regards
Cody
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Re: Got error again when run Dat 24 Re-calibration script

Hi Cody,

I am not sure why your script is failing with an abort, however reading the script log indicates that for all write current settings your error rates are too high and the recal script cannot find a suitable write current value. It appears that the script is failing after this point. Hence, the script is unable to fix your error rate issue even if you manage to get it working.

Recalibration is not always successful. If you want you can post a support ticket here and ill take a look at it. Please run a write/read test and leave the tape loaded in the drive before generating a ticket so I can see logged error rates.

What is your reason for running the recal script? Since the script appears to report poor error rates for all write current settings I expect you are running it to solve backup/restore issues? Have you used a cleaning cartridge etc and tried other DDS3 cartridges?

Cheers,

Dave Dewar

Spec calls out a new tape and actually uses it to clean the heads. I have found that using a DDS2 tape will sometimes get past this - but you probably have a read problem.
Don't fix what ain't broke!
Cody_8
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dave Dewar,

Thanks for your reply.
Since I got failure message when I backing up data, then I ran a test in L&TT 3.4 SR1, and it told me that the tape drive need to perform re-calibration.

I tried to using two new DDS3 cartridges and also got this error.

As you requested, I attached the sticket to you, could you please take a look and advise me? I really would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Cody
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Cody,

I have looked through the support ticket and your drive is having severe problems writing to tape. You have very poor error rate, particularly on the B head channel. This is why the write cal script is not able to find a write current.

A couple of things you could try,

1. See if you get the same issues using DDS2 tapes, if things look the same in DDS2 than you have either badly clogged or damaged heads, If things are better in DDS2, your problems miight be due to head wear.

2. Run a cleaning tape multiple times just in case you have a head clog and repeat the tests to see if the error rate recovers.

3. If the drive is still in warranty then phone up HP support and explain to them you issue. If it is in warranty, you should expect to get an exchange

Cheers,

Dave Dewar