1753451 Members
6045 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP with MSL500

Jay23
Occasional Advisor

HELP with MSL500

Hey all, I have inherited a MSL5000 the one with two drives. After reading all the online documents I have a few questions that need answering that I could not find answers to.

1) How do I do a factory reset on the unit. I want to put everything back to the way it was out of the box

2) How to I change the duplex settings on the 10 mbps Ethernet interface, or is it auto only.

3) What does the mode toggle switch on the library controller card do?

4) DO I need to terminate the second scsi interface on the library controller card or is it terminated already?

5) is there a card with a faster interface than 10mbps?

Thanks Everyone
3 REPLIES 3
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hi Jay,

Looks like you don't have any documents related to this library. Here we go:

1) How do I do a factory reset on the unit. I want to put everything back to the way it was out of the box
ANS: look at this http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00023637

Can't remember but it's from the OCP.

2) How to I change the duplex settings on the 10 mbps Ethernet interface, or is it auto only.
ANS: Talking about NSR or LCC? LCC you don't need to do anything but NSR you can read through: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29075/lpg29075.pdf

3) What does the mode toggle switch on the library controller card do?

ANS: Can't recall !!!

4) DO I need to terminate the second scsi interface on the library controller card or is it terminated already?

ANS: YES it must be terminated in all situations. Read: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29075/lpg29075.pdf

5) is there a card with a faster interface than 10mbps?

ANS: If talking about NSR, i believe it supports 100Mbps.

Hope this helps.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Answers to a couple of these:-

The library controller is 10Mb/s only - no 100Mb/s

the toggle switch is for forcing a firmware download through the serial port at the back - it requires a program called MSLutil, and special serial cable - (only used in an emergency - don't try this at home !!!)

There is no second SCSI interface on the library controller card - it's a "through-bus" that is in/out, and should either terminate, or "daisy-chain" to a tape drive.

Just to make it clear - the library controller is the card in the rightmost slot, (looking on the back of the library) - if you have a module in the middle slot - it's an NSR fibrechannel interface, which is an add-on option.

Regards - Rich
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

1) On GUI touch pannel, click on: Menu/ Maintenance/set user defaults
2) There is no way to configure library controller interfase ethernet port but I think you don├В┬┤t need it because it is only for library management, not for data transfer so you don├В┬┤t need hi speed port for that
3) Mode Switch Operation
WARNING: The use of the mode switch as described in the following section is Unsupported, and may result in an inoperable library. Controller Module replacement may be the only remedy
If the POST CRC check fails, the firmware will stay in the protected boot sector. The firmware can be reprogrammed using the RS-232 Trace Port and MSUtil . If the library will not sync with the MSLUtility, turn the Master Power Switch off and then on. While holding S1 in the closed position, enable DC power (touch the GUI screen). Continue to hold S1 for 2 or more seconds, and try the MSLUtility again. This information is provided only for sake of completeness, please read it carefully before considering its use.
4) For the library controller card, you need a terminator on the upper SCSI port allways, the second SCSI port nedds to be connected to one drive.
5)There are no library controller card with 100mbps ethernet port
Check this link for the user guide and maintenance guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=254838
Keep learning!!!