StoreEver Tape Storage
1748169 Members
4249 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HOST, VIA A SCSI PREVENT/ALLOW COMMAND IS PEVENTING MAGAZINE ACCESS.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

HOST, VIA A SCSI PREVENT/ALLOW COMMAND IS PEVENTING MAGAZINE ACCESS.

I'm running BackupExec 9.1 on a DL380 with W2K Adv. There is a MSL5026 attached via an NSR. Whenever I attempt to load tapes via the Mailbox or open the library on the MSL I get the above error and shortly afterwards BackupExec reports a hardware error and takes the devices offline. In the past if the MSL was busy it would tell me and continue working OK. I've also attached the MSL direct to the sever via SCSI and get the same issue. Both internal tapes devices have been replaced and the NSR has been reset/reconfigured. The server needs to be rebooted before BackupExec will work properly again. The MSL is connected via 1 SCSI lead to the NSR (or server), the termination light is OK. All drivers and firmware is up-to-date.
11 REPLIES 11
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

Re: HOST, VIA A SCSI PREVENT/ALLOW COMMAND IS PEVENTING MAGAZINE ACCESS.

Go to Devices in BE and right click the Library, you will see an option to "unlock" this will unlock the doors the the library
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

I've tried this but it still shows as locked. BackupExec takes the devices offline as it senses a hardware issues even if I attempt to use the mailbox. None of this was a real issue until we updated the firmware on the server and attached devices. Windows RSM has also been disabled. It seems that the tape library is getting a SCIS lock message and not releasing it until the library is rebooted.
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

do it twice.
It will work.

Claudio
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

Running Unlock twice does allow access but a few seconds after the library doors are closed I get a Library hardware error and the devices go offline again.
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

Unlocking the doors should not take the library offline, the latest firmware for the MSL5026 is 507, bring it up to that if its not already. Also go to every server on the fabric and make sure RSM is disabled, that service will try to control the tape device
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

RSM is disabled on all servers and I've upgraded to the latest firmware version. I think this is more than likley a hardware issue.
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

I uninstalled BackupExec and it's still comming up with the SCSI error on the library and not allowing access.
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I would run a diagnostics test with Library and Tape Tools, zip it up and attach it here. The HP guys are good about responding to the support tickets. Stop all of the backup exec services prior to starting L&TT.
Joe Brown_6
Occasional Advisor

As soon ast the SCSIChanger devive starts I get the problem. This is a Windows device but if I diable it I can't use the library. Any thoughts?