StoreEver Tape Storage
1748181 Members
3342 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1/9 & BackupExec Tape Alert Events

HP 1/9 & BackupExec Tape Alert Events

I have a new HP 1/9 connected to a Win2K server running BE 8.6 software. When I try to backup the system I get the following messages:
Information
Robotic Library for Devive: HP 1 (NETSVR)
The library has either been put into secure mode, or the library has exited the secure mode.
This is for information purposes only. No action is required.

Warning
A library operation has been attempted that is invalid at this time.

Warning
Library security has been compromised

I have talked to Veritas and they have said the messages are comming from the tape system, not the BE software. What can I do about the security problems?
6 REPLIES 6
Ron Sutton
Advisor

Re: HP 1/9 & BackupExec Tape Alert Events

Hi, this happens when you open the door. The software know the door has been opened but doesn't know what you are doing to the cartridges in the library. So if you are moving/adding/removing the media, be sure to reinventory the library before doing other operations.

The problem doesn???t seam to be door access. Although I have accessed the door to replace tapes in the library, even after running an Inventory and/or Scan I receive the same messages. This does not happen when I backup to a single drive, only the HP 1/9 library.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

There are 3 TapeAlerts from the library associated with the door(s) and security.

flag 16: Library Door. The operation has failed because the library door is open
flag 19: Library Security. Library security has been compromised.
flag 20: Library Security Mode. The security mode of the library has been changed.

Flag 16 is set if an operation (e.g. move or inventory) is requested when the door is open.
Flag 19 is set when an operater has unlocked/opened a door.
Flag 20 is set when someone has changed the library security settings.

Flag 20 is the tricky one. This can be set when:
1) The hosts sends a 'prevent media removal' command to the library which changes the state.
2) The operator changes the security mode from the front panel ('prevent media access' config).

More than likely, your software is actually doing the 'prevent media removal' operation when it does an inventory or starts a backup (to prevent tapes from being moved around). The library then sets this tape alert flag, which the application sees.

Also note, win2k/XP RSM should be disabled, because it also attempts to manage a library. (see a related posting: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xbc6a1cc6003bd6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html)
The journey IS the reward.
wrowonwonw
Occasional Advisor

I am having the exact same problem. Same error with 1/9 but a single DLT drive works with no error.

The door are not being accessed.

Every 3. minute, two entries on the autoloader management card occours saying: "Invalid Library Operation Attempted (25)"

Note: the 1/9 seems to work perfectly in spite of the error. That is... it is doing both backup and restore.

I am using Veritas 8.6 on NT4.0SP6 - any idea on how I can get rid of these annoying alerts?

Regards, Lars

I hope that someone can help with this problem. The only thing I can get from HP support is confirmation that this is a problem and how the problem is being created. Both Veritas and HP have not provided a solution to this problem. If anyone has addition information please pass it on.

Thanks,
Bruce
Curtis C. Ballard
Occasional Advisor

The problem with the invalid command attempted warning is that there is a bug in Backup Exec and it is sending a vendor unique command that is for a non-HP library. SCSI allows defining commands outside the spec and only the vendor that defined that command will recognize it and process it. Such a command is being used by BE in this case but it is not a command HP defined or supports. Until that bug is fixed this warning will keep happening. They have been notified of the problem but as far as I know haven't proposed a solution.