6159 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 960 and IBM XSeries 345

Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

HP Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 960 and IBM XSeries 345

Hello, everyone.
I'm having a problem trying to connect an Autoloader 1/8 with a Ultrium 960 Tape Drive to an IBM XSeries 345 Server with Windows 2000 Server.
First I connected the autoloader to the external SCSI port of the server. Only the tape drive is detected but not the autoloader.
After that I tried with a HP SCSI Dual Channel U320 card but the server would not started up, it hung after detecting the raid controller.
Have you ever seen this problem before and, if its possible, can you tell me how you resolved it?
Thanks and regards.
Lumar Regalado.
6 REPLIES 6
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 960 and IBM XSeries 345

1.Make sure SCSI is properly terminated.
2.Correct drivers are installed on your host.
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

1. SCSI is terminated correctly.
2. Drivers are installed, but, if the OS can't see the autoloader, you can't install any driver for that.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Did you check, that your controler is right for the autoloader ?
Did you check the setup for the controler ( BIOS setup ) ?
Did you use the correct cable to connect the autoloader ?
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The problem with seeing only the drive and not the autoloader on the built in SCSI port is pretty common. That port must support LUN mode and LUN support must be enabled. Often there is a bios setting that defaults to LUN mode off. I can't speak for this particular built in HBA. Sometimes built in HBA's are reduced functionality and don't support LUN mode.

For the case of the server not powering up with the U320 card I would remove the autoloader and make certain that the server powers up and installs the card before connecting anything so you can rule out whether there is a problem with the card or the installation.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Definately a LUN enabled scsi controller is needed. Some controllers are not compatible with Windows 2000, please check compatibility with the controller's manufacturer.
Make sure the Autoloader is terminated correctly (needs a terminator in the top port on the back of the autoloader).
Make sure the Autoloader is set to an ID different then the scsi controller you are connecting it to, on occasion bent pins or loose cables have cause POST hang or detection issues.

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Also, sometimes if the firmware and bios on the scsi controller is out of date this can cause server hangs and POSt detection issues for newer LTO drive and autoloaders.

Check compatibility of the controller's & server you are using with the Ultrium 960 drive at:
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ThirdParty/index.html