1752734 Members
5466 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Colo Bckp Ver. 6 - Compact Catalog

KC_3
Occasional Advisor

HP Colo Bckp Ver. 6 - Compact Catalog

When compacting the catalog (approx. size: 20MB) I've noticed that it consistently takes some 20 to 25 minutes to perform that compaction.

The only other apps running during compaction are Explorer and Systray.

That seems like an exceptionally long time to perform the compaction, considering that various other apps which have compaction abiity can complete the same task on even larger files in just seconds.

Is this 20 to 25 minutes considered normal, and if not, what might be the cause?

(Running Win95, I.E.5)
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Colo Bckp Ver. 6 - Compact Catalog

Stacy,

What are you using to compress the catalog? I agree with you that to compress 20MB should take less than a few minutes if not seconds.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
KC_3
Occasional Advisor

From within the HP Colorado II app, I'm using Tools-->Catalog Clean Up-->Compact.
madoc
Trusted Contributor

I have a suspicion that it rebuilds the catalogue and it does that by scanning the files on the tape. So I suppose that 20 minutes isn't bad.

Does it spin the tape while it's doing this ? If so, then I am probably right.

cheers,

John
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
KC_3
Occasional Advisor

I can understand the lengthy time element if there is a tape in the drive, however in those instances when I perform a catalog compact the drive is empty and idle. So I'm still at a loss as to the cause of that exceptionally long time to compact.

FYI, in an attempt (unsuccessful) to resolve that issue, I recently did an uninstall/reinstall of Colo Bckp Ver. 6. That had no effect.