Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Re: HP DLT 40

Farbrizio:

According to Quickspecs A(lways a good place to start looking) at
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/Division/10233.html

also attached -

it only supports DAT8, 24 & 40 tapes.

So unless someone knows different, I guess the answer is NO!

Eric

The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

See reply to your other post - but I think you should be able to use them - however you will only be ablt to get 20n/40c out of the tape not the 40n/80c that the tape is capable of
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

Eric - the original post concerns DLT media - not DAT
Fabrizio Canonici
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
thanks for the answers.
I have more than 20GB of data to backup, if i try to do the backup with a 40/80 GB's tape, arcserve asks another tape at the 20th GB to complete the job.
I need to be sure that this is caused by the tape.
The compression is enabled in arcserve's menu.

Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Compression depends on the type of data you're backing up. The average compression ratio of a wide selection of data is 2:1. However, if you're backing up an empty Oracle tablespace, you're going to get something far better than that, or almost zero if you're backing up TIF images or similar graphical files.

Also, I'm not sure where you *see* the amount of data backed up. If ArcServe is doing the compression, then the tape drive may show 20GB of data on tape, even though ArcServe has backed up 40. If you enable compression on the drive only, this should give you a better idea of how much data has actually been backed up.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor