New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DLT8000 tape library connected to SAN switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
yc_2
Regular Advisor

HP DLT8000 tape library connected to SAN switch

Hi,

My company has a HP DLT 8000 tape library connected to an N-class via fiber and HBA currently. It is using OmniBack for backup

Now, we purchased an 2 x rp4440 & 2 x EVA3000 and connected via 2 x SAN switch (8 ports brocade) with secure path. I have asked HP whether the DLT 8000 tape library can be connected to the SAN switch but no avail.

Is there anyone out there has this configuration? If so, is it certified by HP?

Would appreciate anyone can give a pointer to this.

YC

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello YC,

I had a customer with a Surestore E 2/20 library with 2 DLT8000 drives that was connected to the SAN using a fibre/SCSI switch that was later added to the library. Backups were taken via the SAN with Omniback / DataProtector as backup solution.

All the technical information about the library can be found at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=34103&prodTypeId=12169

So it must be feasible.

best regards,
Kurt

yc_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Kurt Beyers,

Currently my DLT 8000 tape library is connected directly to the HBA in the N-class via fiber.

In this case, is there a need for SAN/SCSI switch?

Rgds,
YC
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

YC,

Hard to tell without all the details of your library. If it is fibre connected, there must be built-in fibre/SCSI switch. I don't think you had already directly fibre attached tape drives/libraries.

But just plug it into a SAN switch, check if you can see the library from the SAN switch (switchshowall or someting like that on a CLI). Check the zoning so that the servers are allowed to see the library and do an ioscan -fnC autoch/tape on your N-class server to verify if it sees the library.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Kurt

yc_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Kurt Beyers,

I only worry HP will not certify officially even it works.

YC
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

YC,

What library do you've got exactly? Then you can check if it is supported or not.

But if it is currently fibre attached directly to a host, it will work as well when it is connected to a SAN switch.

The servers don't know what physical path must be followed to access the tape drive, they just see it as their local device.

Kurt